Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Ladies finger | vendakkai 3 cups (thinly sliced)
Coconut oil 1 -2 tblsp
Red chili powder 3/4 tsp
Coconut 2-3 tblsp
Small onion | shallot 2
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
- Wash the ladies finger and wipe it well.
- Thinly slice the ladies finger and keep it aside.
- Finely chop the onion.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Once the dal becomes golden brown add the onions.
- Saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add the thinly sliced ladies finger to this.
- Mix well.
- Cook this for 20 minutes in a low flame or till the slimy texture of the ladies finger goes off.
- Add salt when the ladies finger is half done.
- Grind the coconut, small onion and red chili powder into a mixie. No need to add water while grinding.
- You can add a pod of garlic too while grinding.
- Instead of red chili powder red chilis can be used.
- When the ladies finger is completely cooked and no slimy texture is found add the ground coconut paste to this.
- Mix well and cook this for 5 more minutes in a medium low flame.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Vendakkai thoran is ready to serve. You can have this with plain rice and sambar or rasam or any other south Indian gravy.
- You can omit the red chili or red chili powder and add only green chilies.
- Slice few green chilies and add while tempering the mustard seeds.
- Adding garlic while grinding gives a nice flavour to the vendakkai thoran.
- You can make the same with beetroot also.