Without much introduction to the recipe, let me explain how to make Brinjal curry with freshly ground spices. Generally it is made by stuffing the spice powder into the brinjal, but since we like it this way more than the Stuffed Brinjal curry, I made it in this way. This Kathrikkai podi curry was lying in my drafts for more than 2 months i wanted to post this today. I have few more simple recipes lying in my draft which i will post in the following weeks and will post new recipes soon. INGREDIENTS: SERVES 3 – 4
INGREDIENTS: TO ROAST AND GRIND
|CORIANDER SEED(DHANIA)||1 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TBLSP|
|URAD DAL||1 TSP|
|KOPRAI (DRY COCONUT)||2 TBLSP|
- Take out the top portion(paavadai) of the brinjal and cut the brinjals into slices.
- Soak it in the water to avoid getting it black.
- Roast all the ingredients under the table “Roast and Grind”into golden brown color.
- Grind this into a fine powder.
- In a pan, add oil and mustard seeds and when it crackles add the brinjals (drain the water and add it)
- Add salt, turmeric powder and this spice powder. Mix well and keep the flame medium low.
- Stir in between and let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once it gets cooked and roasted switch off the flame.
- Garnish with curry leaves . You can have this with plain hot rice smeared with ghee.
- You can make the powder in advance and store it in an airtight container.
- always use the small purple variety of Brinjals for best results.