Mor kuzhambu recipe with videoMor kulambhu is a traditional south Indian yogurt based gravy . It tastes heaven with hot rice and parrupu usli. Mor kuzhambhu is a creamy yogurt gravy , which is loved by all our family members. It tastes good with Yam fry and Seppankizhanghu fry.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 4
Yogurt| curd 1 and 1/2 cup
Toor dal 1 tblsp
Coconut (grated) 1 tblsp
Green chili 2
Cumin seed| jeera 1 tsp
Ladies finger 5
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Curry leaves few
Coconut oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Red chili 1
Salt as needed
Cooking oil 4 tsp
Video of mor kuzhambu
- Soak the toor dal in very little water for 15 mins. Beat the curd nicely using a whisk and make it as buttermilk. The butter milk should be thick. Add salt as needed , turmeric powder and asafoetida to it and keep it aside.
- Grind the soaked toor dal,jeeragam green chillies and coconut into a fine paste.
- While grinding this don't use water,use the buttermilk we have kept aside. This will prevent from the mor kulambhu becoming watery.
- Meanwhile cut the ladies finger and fry it till golden brown using a non stick pan and keep it aside. Add little salt to this while cooking.
- Then add the paste to the buttermilk we have kept aside.
- Keep the flame small and cook till frothy.
- Once it becomes frothy switch off the flame.
- Do not allow this to boil like we do for sambar or vatha kuzhambu.
- Temper mustard and red chili in coconut oil and add to this.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add the ladies finger before serving.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and do not cover it fully immediately. Slightly cover it and when it is warm then fully close it.
- I have added toor dal to this recipe, you can replace with raw rice too.
- Some people add dhaniya or coriander seeds to mor kuzhambu. Check my kalyana morkuzhambu recipe for that version.