Masala Vadai | Paruppu Vadai can be made as a starter when we have guests at home and can be made during teatime as a snack. My family loves this and especially my daughter is a big fan of masala vadai.
My mom makes this with only channa dal, but i learnt this version from my relative. Check the recipe of aama vadai, which we make for bogi pandigai and aavani avittam.
Masala Vadai recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking time 2 hours | Cooking Time : 30 Mins |Serves: 4
Channa dal 1 cup
Toor dal 1/2 cup
Yellow moong dal 1/4 cup
Red chili 5-6
Asafoetida a generous pinch
Onion 1 big
Mint leaves few
Salt as needed
Coriander leaves few
Sombu |fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
- Soak all the dals together for 2 hours
- Grind it in the mixie along with chilies, saunf ,salt,asafoetida and curry leaves adding very little water to it.
- Grind it little coarsely.
- Add the finely chopped onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add the ghee to it.(adding this gives more crispiness to the vadai)
- Mix it well.
- Make it into bite sized patties and deep fry it oil
- Keep the oil in medium flame, or else it will not get cooked inside.
- Drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Serve it with tomato sauce.