Let me share the recipe of this Arisi upma this time.
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 3-4
|RAW RICE||1 1/2 CUP|
|TOOR DHAL||3 TBLSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1 TSP|
|COOKING OIL||1 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Wash the rice and drain all the water.
- Dry it in a cloth ,by spreading the rice in the cloth.
- This procedure helps in breaking of the rice evenly without making it a powder.
- When it is dry,transfer it to the mixie.
- Just coarsely grind it in the mixie along with the toordhal,cuminseeds and pepper.
- The consistency should be like this.
- We call this as arisi kurunnai.
- In a pressure cooker, add the cooking oil and coconut oil .
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida,curry leaves and redchilli to it.
- Now add water to it and allow it to boil.
- For one cup of the rice kurunnai,add 2 cups of water.
- Add salt to it.
- When it boils nicely add the rice kurrunai to it.
- When half of the upma is donr, close the cooker with the lid.
- Keep it in a low flame and cook for 10-12 mins .
- In this time we will get one whistle from the cooker.
- Serve with spicy Coconut thogaiyal
- My family loves this with simple butter milk.
- This recipe is usually done with raw rice,but if u dont get it,u can use parboiled rice too.(not the idli rice).
- You can also replace ricekurrunai available in the store,so that u can skip the first 2 steps.
- If you have a ricemill, in the place u live,u can grind a sizeable quantity and store it .