Arisi upma is a very simple dish yet a traditional tamil brahmin recipe. We usually make this on fasting days like ekadesi, ammavasai and on other days we fast. Traditionally, arisi upma is made in a brass vessel,we call it “uruli” in tamil. Both my mom and Mother in law makes this upma in that vessel. Since i don't have this , i always make this in pressure cooker.
Let me share the recipe of this Arisi upma this time.
Arisi upma recipe
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Raw rice | Pacharisi 1 and 1/2 cup
Toor dal 3 tblsp
Cumin seeds | jeeragam 1 tsp
Pepper 1/2 tsp
Red chili 1
Curry leaves few
Cooking oil 1 tblsp
Coconut oil 2 tsp
Coconut 2 tblsp (optional)
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves few
- Wash the rice and drain all the water.
- Dry it in a cloth ,by spreading the rice in the cloth.
- This procedure helps in breaking of the rice evenly without making it a powder.
- When it is dry,transfer it to the mixie.
- Just coarsely grind it in the mixie along with the toordhal,cuminseeds and pepper.
- The consistency should be like this.
- We call this as arisi kurunnai.
- In a pressure cooker, add the cooking oil and coconut oil .
- Add mustard seeds, asafoetida,curry leaves and redchilli to it.
- Now add water to it and allow it to boil.
- For one cup of the rice kurunnai,add 2 cups of water.
- Add salt to it.
- When it boils nicely add the rice kurrunai to it.
- When half of the upma is done, close the cooker with the lid.
- Keep it in a low flame and cook for 10-12 mins .
- In this time we will get one whistle from the cooker.
- Serve with spicy Coconut thogaiyal
- My family loves this with simple butter milk.
- This recipe is usually done with raw rice,but if u dont get it,u can use parboiled rice too.(not the idli rice).
- You can also replace arisi kurrunai available in the store,so that u can skip the first 2 steps.
- If you have a ricemill, in the place u live,u can grind a sizable quantity and store it .