This recipe i learnt from my mom ,10 years back and after so many trail and error i am now getting it good.
|TOOR DHAL||1/2 CUP|
|MIXED VEGETABLES||1 BOWL|
|SMALL ONION(SHALLOTS)||1 CUP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 1/2 TBLSP|
|CHANNA DAL||2 TBLSP|
|GRATED COCONUT||1/2 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|TAMARIND WATER||1 1/2 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Cook rice with 3 cups of water
- Cook the toordal by adding a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Keep seperately.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract juice from it by adding water.
- Cut the veggies(i used carrot, chow –chow, beans and radish).
- Peel the skin of the shallots.
- In a kadai, add a little oil and roast the coriander seeds, redchilli ,and channa dal.
- Fry till golden brown.
- When it is cool, add coconut to it and grind it into a fine paste.
- Pour the remaining oil in the kadai and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When it splutters, add the shallots to it.
- Keep the flame low and saute till golden brown.
- Now add the curry leaves and tomato.
- Now add the veggies and saute for few mins.
- Add the tamarind extract and allow it to boil.
- Add the turmeric powder, sambar powder,asafoetida and salt to it.
- Add the ground masala to it.
- Let this boil for 5 mins.
- Transfer it to a rice cooker after 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and toordal to it.
- Mix well and add 1 cup of water to it.
- Close the rice cooker and press the cooking mode.
If you are using pressure cooker, just transfer everthing to the cooker and keep the flame
low and cook for 10 –15 mins.
- Serve hot with papadams/raitha.
- I love to have with any pickle.
- You can any veggie of your choice.Generally we can add cabbage, turnip,potato.
- If you want to add ghee u can add it at the end .
- Sometimes i fry some cashew nuts in ghee and add to it.