Sambar sadam is a very easy one pot meal. I make bisibelabath for weekend lunch but this sambar is more of restaurant style sambar sadam. I learnt this recipe from my friend’s mom very long back. She made this sambar sadam and invited us for lunch. It tasted awesome and it tasted more like the restaurant style sambar sadam. Many times when i do i never had time to click the pictures and twice in a hurry the picture came out bad. Two weeks back, when Suresh was not in town, i made this for me and kids and clicked the pictures too. So sharing the recipe of how to make sambar sadam today.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins | Serves : 3-4
Rice 3/4 Cup
Rice 3/4 Cup
Toor dal 1/4 cup
Sambar powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Small Onions 12- 15
Tamarind A small lemon size
Sesame oil + Ghee 2 tblsp +2 tsp
Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
Salt To taste
Asafoetida 2 pinches
Channa dal 1 tblsp
Green Chilli 1
Red Chilli 2
Vendayam | Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
Small onion 2-3
Coconut 1 tblsp
- Cook the rice and toor dal seperately. Mash the rice after it is cooked.
- Soak the tamarind in water.
- Peel the skin of the onions and cut the carrots and radish into roundels. Cut the drumsticks into small pieces.
- In a pan add few drops of oil and add the ingredients mentioned under the heading to grind except coconut and tomato.
- Once it turns golden brown switch off the flame.
- Grind this along with coconut and tomato into a fine paste.
- In a pan add sesame oil and throw in the mustard seeds. when it splutters add small onions and when it turns pink add the chopped tomato. Add in the veggies and saute for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract ( 1 cup tamarind water).
- Add the sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida. Let this mixture boils in a medium flame till the veggies gets cooked.
- Add the ground paste to this.
- Now add the cooked toor dal and mix well.
- After the dal and the ground paste mixes well check for the right consistency. If needed add little water to reach the sambar consistency.
- Add the cooked rice to this.
- Mix evenly and let this boil for 2 minutes in a low flame.
- Add ghee to this and mix well.
- Garnish with curry leaves. Serve hot with appalam or vadam.
- Have you ever tried the combo of sambar sadam with papad and mango thokku? Give it a try.
Super! very tempting sambar sadam.
slurp… i generally take bisebelabath or sambhar rather taking rice and sambhar separately.. Very nice recipe with the grinded masala's
Super tempting sambhar sadam.By the way thanx for your comment on my blog.
very nice beautifully presented plus well explained
Too tempting….thanks for this wonderful recipe Jayashri.
as such u yes its very easy and I always prefer to make it for easy lunch option….super tempting bowl of goodness…
nicely presented.. love the spread…
Simple yet tasty one dish meal!
Wow nice one jeyashri I always make everything together both rice and sambar mix love the way u have done it will try out some time
I can imagine the taste : ) I'm sure plenty of people would jump over fences to be your taste-tester. I wish I lived near you, myself. ; ) Welcome to my blog and leave your comment. I am very happily. https://www.asiacookingrecipe.com
Lovely mix of rice and sambar. Wonderfully prepared.
That looks so delicious. Loved all ur clicks!
wow such an flavorful and yummy bisi bele bhath 🙂 Excellent preparation !!
Hi Jeyashri, I tried your sambar rice recipe and we loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks for the recipe…….
thank for the recipe, its very easy for the working ladies.
jeyashri your rocking
Sambar rice is very nice
Thanks for all ur receipes
COULD U TELL ME HOW TO DO ONION VADAM AND KARU VADAM? I LIKE THIS VERY MUCH. MY MOM FRIED THE KARU VADAMS AND PUT INTO THE ARACHIVITTA SAMBAR. IT WAS VERY NICE. I WANT THAT RECEIPE.
Will post soon . Actually i wont get adequate sunlight in the place i am living. will ask my mom to do it for me
I tried it… It was good… Thanks
Hi i tried it it was tasty thanks
Just made this for dabba for my husband:) we don't eat onions so skipped that alone. I always trust your recipes to give me exactly what I am looking for. Thanks jeyashree!
Tried your sambar rice recipe today and it turned out great…exactly like what we get in Hotels. Thanks a ton for posting such easy and tasty recipe's.
I tried it today and it came out delicious. Wonderful recipe!
Superb, a delicious lunch was prepared. Thanks for giving us the recipe in a simple way. It's yummy…..m