I am not a great fan of Rava idli , but a year back when our relatives visited here i made rava idly for them since they loved the soft and spongy rava idlies a lot and i also enjoyed it. I tried this from Raks, and my relatives were totally impressed with the outcome and after that i tried this for many more times. When i made this few weeks back, i decided to blog this recipe of Rava Idli.
This measurement yields approximately 4-5 Rava idlis. Check out my Poha idli and oats idli. Rava idli tastes great with potato masala. Check out my chutney recipes too.
Rava idli recipe
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 5-6
Rava | Sooji 1/2 cup
Curd | Yogurt 1/4 cup
Green chili 1
Ginger grated 1/2 tsp
Eno fruit salt 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts 5
Channa dal 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Oil 2 tsp
Lemon juice 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves few
Salt as needed
Grated coconut | carrot to garnish (optional)
- Cut the green chilies very finely and grate the ginger.
- Heat a kadai and add the oil ,throw in the mustard seeds,channa dal,urad dhal,cashew nuts, green chilli ,curry leaves ,coriander leaves and ginger to it.
- Fry till the dal turns golden brown.
- Add the rava/sooji/semolina to this and saute for a minute.
- Put off the flame.
- Add salt, lemon juice to this.
- Transfer this to a container and allow this to cool.
- Add curd and water to this and mix well.
- Add the eno fruit salt to this and and mix well, and add necessary water to get the idli batter consistency.
- Transfer it immediately to the greased idli moulds.
- Steam for 7-9 mins.
- This is a picture of Eno salt bottle.
- Enjoy with any chutney of your choice.
- I served with coconut chutney.
- Garnish the idli with coconut gratings.(optional)
- Don’t omit the eno salt as this makes the idli very soft.
- These idlis does not get dried and retains its texture for few hours.