SIDE DISH FOR IDLI/DOSA.
Today i am sharing one of my favourite dish ,made with shallots , from my mom’s kitchen which we enjoyed during our childhood days, with hot idlis and dosas. I still remember my mom keeps on making hot hot dosa and me ,my sister and my father used to relish them sitting on the floor in the kitchen and we will feed our mom also in between . When i was typing the title the entire scene came to my mind and i just wanted to share with that here..
|SHALLOTS||1 CUP(FINELY CHOPPED)|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 AND 1/4 SPOON|
|TAMRIND EXTRACT||3/4 CUP|
|COOKED MOONG DAL||3 TBLSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DHAL||1/4 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILI||1 NO|
|ASAFOETIDA||A GENEROUS PINCH|
- Peel the skin of the shallots and chop them finely.
- In a kadai add the oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dal , red chili and asfoetida.
- When the mustard splutters and the dhal turns brown add the onions.
- Saute till the onions turns pink.
- Now add the tamarind extract, sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Allow it to boil in a low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Dilute the cooked moong dal with a cup of water and add to the onion gravy.
- Bring it to boil.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve hot.