EASY TO MAKE BREAKFAST/EVENING TIFFINAfter a long time i am sitting and writing a post. Still feeling very lazy to come back to routine after a wonderful holiday for a week in Thailand. I must thank all my friends who visited my blog and posted their encouraging comments , even when i miss their wonderful posts.
Two years back, one day when i was talking with my friends in the evening, and discussing about the dinner plan,i told i am planning to make semiya upma,and one among the group told that making upma with semiya/vermicelli is totally new to her. Somehow that incident came to my mind yesterday while i was making this for my breakfast. Since blogging was in the back of my mind ,as to what to post, i clicked while making the upma and here comes the recipe.
|SEMIYA/VERMICELLI||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/2 TSP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 TSP|
- Dry roast the vermicelli till they become nice golden brown.
- I skipped this stage since i bought the roasted vermicelli.
- Chop the onions and green chili lengthwise and the veggies into fine pieces.
- In a kadai add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal ,chilies and the curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutter and the dals turn nice golden brown colour, add the onions.
- Saute till it turns pink.
- Add the finely chopped veggies and saute for a minute.
- Add the water and salt as per the taste.
- Allow the water to boil and let the veggies cook in that water.
- Keep the flame in medium.
- When the veggies become soft(it will approximately take 7-9 mins) add the roasted semiya/vermicelli.
- Keep the flame in low.
- Mix gently and put off the flame when the semiya gets cooked.
- Serve very hot with any pickle or coconut chutney.
- I always love to have with pickle and a hot cup of filter coffee.
- This combo will taste heaven when the hot upma follows a sip of filter coffee.
- You can add any veggie of your choice.(green peas and potatoes will go well)
- Red chili can be replaced with green chili.
- You can add roasted cashew nuts to make it rich.