Kanchipuram idli is a Traditional dish made for breakfast and even for dinner which i learnt from my friend, and the original recipe she got from her grandmother,who is an expert is making kanchipuram idlis.
A friend of mine served this during navaratri, when we went to her house for golu.
|IDLI RICE||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|RAW RICE||1/2 CUP|
|URAD DHAL||1 CUP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|GRATED GINGER||1/2 TSP|
|SESAME OIL||1TBLSP+1/2 TSP|
- Soak the raw rice, idli rice and urad dhal together in water for 5-6 hrs or overnight.
- After 6 hrs, grind it in grinder. While grinding do not make it too smooth , let it be little coarse.
- Add salt and keep it aside for 8 hrs( or till it gets fermented).
- The batter should be of normal idli batter consistency.
- Before making, take a portion of batter in a vessel.
- I took a cup of batter.
- Crush the pepper coarsely and add the Whole cumin seeds.
- Add the grated ginger, 1 tblsp of sesame oil and ghee.
- mix together nicely . Grease a bowl with sesame oil and pour the batter.
- Steam it for 20 mins or check inserting a tooth pick .If it comes out clean then it is done.
- Allow it to cool for 5 mins and invert it in a plate.
- Cut into pieces and serve with Idli Milagai Podi.
- A cup of fermented batter yielded 4-5 small pieces.
- Hours of fermentation vary depending on the weather conditions.
- You can add a tsp of dry ginger powder(sukku) to the batter, if you like the flavor.
- Do not skip the mentioned oil and ghee . Addition of this will make the idli very soft and moist.
- This will taste delicious when consumed after 2 hrs from making.