Mullu Murukku | Chakali| Magizhampoo is a crispy snack which we usually make for diwali or janmashtami. Last time during my trip to India, my mom made the flour and packed for me. But unfortunately idue to slight excess in the size of baggage i have to leave this at home. I never thought of making flour for this at home in the mixer(mixie) , but when i tried making yesterday it turned out pretty well .
Here comes the recipe for mullu murukku:
INGREDIENTS:(TO MAKE THE FLOUR)
THIS MAKES 4 CUPS OF FLOUR
|RAW RICE||3 CUPS|
|CHANNA DAL||1/4 CUP +1 TBLSP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||1/2 CUP|
OTHER INGREDIENTS:(THIS MEASUREMENT IS FOR 1 CUP OF FLOUR)
|SOFTENED BUTTER||1/2 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|WATER||TO KNEAD THE DOUGH(1/2 CUP APPROX.)|
|SESAME SEEDS(ELLU)||1/4 TSP|
For the flour:
- Dry roast the moong dal and channa dal together till nice aroma comes.(for 3-5 mins in medium flame)
- Do not get it burnt.
- When it is cool, grind this along with raw rice in a mixie.
- Sieve this and again powder this ,till it turns out into a smooth flour.
- The mixer may get over heated. Making flour in mixer in advisable for small quantities.
- If you stay in a place where you have flour mill, then half of the job is done.
- Spread the flour in a plate and store it in a airtight container.
- The flour is ready to use.
To make murukku: ( I made with 1 cup flour and this yielded 10 murukku of medium size)
- Add the flour, butter, salt, sesame seeds, asafoetida in a wide mouthed vessel.
- Add water to make this into a soft pliable dough.
- Take a handful of dough and place this in a murukku presser.
- Use this aachu for mullu murukku.Or you can use the 3 stars one also.
- Heat the oil till it becomes hot.
- Make a round shape in a laddle and just transfer it to the oil.
- When it sizzling sound subsides take this out from the hot oil and drain the excess oil in the kitchen towel.
- Repeat this process for the remaining dough.
- Store them in a airtight container and enjoy crispy murukku with hot tea.
- The texture of the flour depends on how nice your mixer is.
- If it is not ground properly this will not come in round shapes.
- You can directly make rounds in the oil as I did for Thenkuzhal.
- If making circles in ladle,ensure that it it not hot. Else will stick to the ladle.
- Do not keep the oil in low flame.