Here comes the recipe for mullu murukku:
INGREDIENTS:(TO MAKE THE FLOUR)
THIS MAKES 4 CUPS OF FLOUR
|RAW RICE||3 CUPS|
|CHANNA DAL||1/4 CUP +1 TBLSP|
|YELLOW MOONG DAL||1/2 CUP|
|SOFTENED BUTTER||1/2 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|WATER||TO KNEAD THE DOUGH(1/2 CUP APPROX.)|
|SESAME SEEDS(ELLU)||1/4 TSP|
For the flour:
- Dry roast the moong dal and channa dal together till nice aroma comes.(for 3-5 mins in medium flame)
- Do not get it burnt.
- When it is cool, grind this along with raw rice in a mixie.
- Sieve this and again powder this ,till it turns out into a smooth flour.
- The mixer may get over heated. Making flour in mixer in advisable for small quantities.
- If you stay in a place where you have flour mill, then half of the job is done.
- Spread the flour in a plate and store it in a airtight container.
- The flour is ready to use.
- Add the flour, butter, salt, sesame seeds, asafoetida in a wide mouthed vessel.
- Add water to make this into a soft pliable dough.
- Take a handful of dough and place this in a murukku presser.
- Use this aachu for mullu murukku.Or you can use the 3 stars one also.
- Heat the oil till it becomes hot.
- Make a round shape in a laddle and just transfer it to the oil.
- When it sizzling sound subsides take this out from the hot oil and drain the excess oil in the kitchen towel.
- Repeat this process for the remaining dough.
- Store them in a airtight container and enjoy crispy murukku with hot tea.
- The texture of the flour depends on how nice your mixer is.
- If it is not ground properly this will not come in round shapes.
- You can directly make rounds in the oil as I did for Thenkuzhal.
- If making circles in ladle,ensure that it it not hot. Else will stick to the ladle.
- Do not keep the oil in low flame.