For this past one month as the kids have school vacation, and even i too took a break from giving lunch box to my hubby. As the school is reopening tomorrow from the past 2 days i am slowly getting into my routine and today i was clueless what to give for his lunch box and suddenly this curry leaves rice came to mind. The recipe for karuveppilai sadam i read in a magazine long back and i managed to recollect that recipe and finally packed his lunch box with curry leaves rice.
TO ROAST AND GRIND:
|RED CHILLI||3 NO|
|CURRY LEAVES||1 HAND FUL|
|TAMARIND||A SMALL PIECE|
|BASMATI RICE||1 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/2 TSP|
- Soak the rice for 20 minutes and cook it by adding salt and few drops of oil. Add 1 and 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- When done, allow this to cool in a wide bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, peanuts , urad dal and roast till golden brown.
- Add this to the plain rice.
- In the same pan add the ingredients mentioned in the roast and grind table, except coconut.
- Fry till the curry leaves becomes nice golden color.
- Be careful not to get any of the ingredient burnt.
- Switch off the flame and add coconut and mix well.
- Grind this without adding water to this.
- This will be slightly coarse.
- Add this ground masala to the rice.
- Mix gently. If adding ghee, add at this stage and mix evenly.
- Pack for lunch box with papad or raitha.
- A pod of garlic can be added for making the masala.
- Finely chopped onions can be sauted till golden brown and added to the rice.
- You can roast few cashew nuts to make it more rich.
- Sona masoori rice | raw rice can be used instead of basmati rice.