Eggplant | brinjal| kathrikkai whatever you call is one of my favorite veggie and especially this curry which my mom makes with the big eggplant which we use for Baingan bharta is my most favorite one. I still remember wheni was pregnant with my second kid, i used to ask my mom to make this alteast 3-4 times a week. This will taste awesome when we mix with hot rice and eat with papad(my mouthwaters!!)
|BRINJAL | EGGPLANT||1 (BIG)|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 AND 1/2 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|COOKING OIL||1-2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
- Cut the brinjals into cubes. Slice the onions thinly.
- In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When it crackles add the thinly sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the cubed brinjals and throw in the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Saute them in a medium flame till the brinjals become tender and cooked nicely.
- When the color changes to dark brown, switch of the flame.
- Serve hot with plain rice or enjoy with simple Tomato Rasam and rice.
- You can use small brinjals or the green color brinjals too.
- Sambar powder can be replaced with red chilli powder too.