Restaurant style poori kilanghuPoori masala which they normally serve in restaurants especially in Saravana Bhavan is one of my most favorite. Whenever Varun order Poori in Saravana bhavan here, he will just dip the masala and eat the poori, so me a big fan of Poori masala will eat it as it is and Varsha will sometimes share with me too. Though i tried Poori masala | Poori kizhanghu at home many times , but mostly i will be making for kids lunch box only and i never had a chance to click the pictures. Yesterday i made poori and kizhangu for evening tiffin and i made this before the kids are back from school and clicked the pictures too.
|ONION(BIG)||2 - 3|
|GINGER||A SMALL PIECE|
|BESAN | KADALAI MAAVU||1 TBLSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|GARAM MASALA||A SMALL PINCH(OPTIONAL)|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/4 TSP|
|LEMON JUICE||FEW DROPS|
- Peel the skin of the boiled potatoes and mash two of them with you palm.Cut the remaining one into cubes.[ This idea i learnt from here]
- Thinly slice the onions and finely chop the curry leaves and green chilli.
- Grate the ginger. I used a very small piece.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, ginger,green chilli and curry leaves.
- When the urad turns golden brown, add the sliced onions and saute for few minutes till the onions becomes translucent.
- Now add 1/2 a cup of water to this and cook the onions for a minute.
- When done, add the mashed and cubed potatoes..
- Mix the besan | kadalai maavu in 2 tblsp of water and mix well without any lumps.
- Add this to the potato mixture and add salt and turmeric powder. Add 1 cup of water to bring this to a gravy consistency.
- This masala will absorb water once it comes to boil . so don’t worry if it is thin.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Add lemon juice (if using)
- Few bits of cashew nuts can be added while tempering mustard seeds, to make it rich.
- Finely chopped tomato can be added after sauting the onions.
- I have seen in many restaurants they ad green peas or finely chopped carrots to this poori kizhangu. If adding any one of this add after sauting onions.
- If made little thick, this can be used as a spread for dosa too.
- This can be eaten with rava idli and chapathis too