Masala dosa with video
Masala dosa,or Masal dosai is a popular south Indian breakfast recipe. I wanted to post masala dosa recipe when i posted Hotel Saravana bhavan style mini tiffin. But somehow missed it out. I got a tip of cooking onions in the pressure cooker along with the potatoes, from my suresh’s chitti. Though i make masala dosa rarely at home but whenever i make i cook the onions along with potato. You can make it for poori masala too.
During my childhood days my grandmother makes yummy masala dosa. Once we had our friends who has come for night study to our house, when they are about to leave by morning 6.30, she was ready with dosa batter and potato masala. She didn’t let anyone to go without tasting the masala dosa. Happily they all had the yummy dosa early in the morning.
Check out my
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 3-4 Min per dosa |Makes: 6-7 dosa
Dosa batter 2 cups
Oil + ghee for making dosa
For the Potato masala
Green chili 1-2
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts 1 tblsp (optional)
Curry leaves few
Salt as needed
Oil 3 tsp
Video of Masala dosa
- Slice the onions thinly and slit the green chili. I used one green chili, you can add one more too.
- Pressure cook the potato and the sliced onions(in separate vessels) inside the cooker.
- Cook till 3-4 whistles.
- Once done, take out the skin of the potatoes.
- Just roughly chop them.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add cashew nuts too (if adding)
- Once the nuts starts browning add the cooked onions.
- Add the potatoes too.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix up and just slightly mash the potatoes with a masher or you can mash the potatoes roughly with hands before adding it to the pan.
- If you want little water if you want it bit loose. I want it this without adding water.
- Cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Potato masala is ready for masala dosa.
- Heat a dosa pan and pour a ladle of dosa batter to this.
- Spread this into round circle.
- After few seconds add oil+ ghee. Ghee gives a good flavour to the dosa, so don’t miss out.
- Add 1-2 tblsp of potato masala. I want to add more so i added 2 tblsp. Add as per your preference.
- Cook on one side only. Fold on both sides.
- Take out from the pan and serve hot immediately.
- Masala dosa generally needs no side dish but coconut chuntey goes well with this dosa.
- You can make masala dosa with left over idli batter.
- Left over potato curry can also be used to make filling for the dosa.
- Cooking the onions gives a nice taste and flavor to the masala also saves time.
- It won’t give any raw flavour to the masala.
- You can add finely chopped carrots to the masala.
- If you like adding tomatoes add after adding cooked onions.