Recipe updated with video
INGREDIENTS:(FOR POORNAM)[ YIELDS 14-15 KOZHUKATTAIS]
|URAD DAL||1/4 CUP|
|TOOR DAL||1 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|RICE FLOUR|IDIYAPPAM FLOUR||1 CUP|
|SESAME OIL||1 TSP|
|WATER||1 AND 1/4 CUP(MINUS 1 TBLSP)|
- Soak the urad dal and toor dal together for 45 minutes.
- The addition of toor dal is to avoid the stickiness of the urad dal.
- After 45 minutes, drain the water and grind this along with red chilli, asafoetida and salt into a coarse paste.
- Make it into patties and steam them in a idli maker for 12 minutes.
- Take out and allow it to cool.
- When it is completely cool just pulse it in a mixer to get the poornam as we make for parrupu usili.
- In a pan, add oil and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When it splutters, add the pulsed urad dal mixture. Saute for 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Cover this and keep aside.
- Boil the water to a nice rolling boil and add salt and sesame oil to the water.
- Now add the flour to the water. Keep the flame low and add the flour.
- Stir it without any lumps and let the dough come into a soft mass.
- Put off the flame and when it is warm roll it with your hands to form a nice dough.
- Keep it in a wide vessel by covering it with a clean moist cloth.
- Take out a medium lemon sized ball and grease your hands with sesame oil.
- With you fingers make a small cup out it.
- Place a tsp of poornam into this and carefully seal the edges.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the dough.
- Steam them for 10 minutes in a greased idli plate.You can see the shinny texture of the kozhukkatis once they are done.
- After 2 minutes transfer them to a bowl.
- Kohukattais are ready for neiveidyam.
- Always keep the outer layer covered to avoid dryness , which if you don’t do will form cracks in the kozhukattais.
- The left over urad dal poornam can be used in Ammini kozhukattai instead of idli milagai podi.