Restaurant style poori kilanghu with video
Potato masala for poori| Poori Kizhangu, a popular South Indian restaurant style gravy, pairs well with poori, dosai and also Rava idli. The Poori masala which they normally serve in restaurants especially in Saravana Bhavan is one of my most favorite. Whenever Varun order Poori in Saravana bhavan here, he will just dip the masala and eat the poori, so me a big fan of Poori masala will eat it as it is and Varsha will sometimes share with me too. Though i tried Poori masala | Poori kizhanghu at home many times , but mostly i will be making for kids lunch box only and i never had a chance to click the pictures. Yesterday i made poori and kizhangu for evening tiffin and i made this before the kids are back from school and clicked the pictures too.
Check out my
- Recipe Cusine: South Indian
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 4-5
- Author: Jeyashri
- Recipe Category: Lunch | Dinner | Breakfast
- Description: Potato masala for poori| Poori Kizhangu, a popular South Indian restaurant style gravy, pairs well with poori, dosai and also Rava idli.
Oil 3 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Green chili 2
Curry leaves few
Ginger 1 tsp (grated)
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
Garam masala 1/2 tsp
Besan | kadalai maavu 1 tblsp
Video of how to make poori kizhangu
Method with step by step pictures :
- Boil the potatoes by adding little turmeric. This gives a nice bright yellow color to the poori kizhangu.
- Peel the skin of the boiled potatoes. Mash one potato with your palm and cut one potato into cubes.
- Thinly slice the onions and slit green chilli.
- Grate the ginger. I used a very small piece.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, urad dal, ginger,green chilli and curry leaves.
- When the urad turns golden brown, add the sliced onions.
- Saute for few minutes till the onions becomes translucent.
- When done, add the mashed and cubed potatoes.
- Add 1 cup of water to this.
- Mix well and add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder. Add salt.
- Add Garam masala.
- Mix the besan | kadalai maavu in 2 tblsp of water and mix well without any lumps.
- This masala will absorb water once it comes to boil, so don’t worry if it is thin.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice (if using)
- Serve hot with pooris.
- Few bits of cashew nuts can be added while tempering mustard seeds, to make it rich.
- Finely chopped tomato can be added after sauting the onions.
- I have seen in many restaurants they ad green peas or finely chopped carrots to this poori kizhangu. If adding any one of this add after sauting onions.
- If made little thick, this can be used as a spread for dosa too.
- Poori Kizhangu can be eaten with rava idli and chapathis too
Mmm.. yummy dear!
Loved the besan idea , never knew about it
So nice.. I love the original recipe .. However due to my kids who are not big fan of onion I have to modify the recipe..After seeing your pic I am craving for it..
this looks wonderful
i love this saagu..best combo for pooris in south india..looks yumm
superb my fav
Potato masala looks delicious…Makes a perfect match with poori..Adding besan to this is new to me..
Perfectly wow perfectly made potato masala….
i make this in excess always to stuff inside dosas! 🙂
my all time favorite wid poori..looks deliicious
Poori masala a classic combination…looks delicious…love the addition of besan
my mom also used to add kadalamavu. Looks super creamy , perfect for pooris 🙂
Poori and kilangu…my favorite….:)
neat & good looking pictures… love to visit your space for these pictures itself..
Off late I have been making the potato curry for puris like this in a slightly semi-solid consistency. Makes it easier to eat and tastier. But I do not add the besan. Will try it next time.
Ohh , so they add Besan to get this consistency to the gravy. new for me..
Love the clicks Jayashri.. 🙂
wow so so yumm…. am die-heart fan of poori masala… whenever i go restaurant i order ven pongal n poori masala…
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
adding besan flour is new to me,tempting & delicious potato masala !!
Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania
all your recipes are too gud and i love your clicks.. i do follow the same method for poori masala by adding besan flour.. happy to follow you..
looks tempting & delicious…mouthwatering!
Looks yumm, reminds me that it's been a while that I have done this..
I tried ur masala recipe 2days back and it came out really well. The key point ot note was to have some potato pieces cut and rest mashed.. Thank you so much
Thank u very much for trying out and letting me know
it s so simple n yummy i love it….
Jeyashri, I tried this potato masala and it came out good. Thanks for the recipe
Good one ?
I tried this without kadalai mavu and it came out well Akka..somehow whenever I add kadalai mavu its always a flop show.. So this time I deleberate ly avoided it…
This recipie is very easy and tastes really good. Thank you for the post
It 's going to be my brekfast tomorrow I really miss it :)thanx for recipe