SAMBAR WITHOUT DAL
I have already posted the recipe of Tiffin sambar , but few weeks ago when i went for an outing with my friends the topic of instant sambar came. Suddenly i remembered that i have tried an instant sambar long back from Rohini’s space. But since i forgot that recipe i searched in her blog again and made the instant tiffin sambar again and enjoyed with idlis . After a break rohini has started blogging again and for the original recipe click here.
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||3 TBLSP|
|CORIANDER SEEDS||1 TBLSP|
|POTTUKADALAI | CHUTNEY DAL|ROASTED GRAM||2 TBLSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|CURRY LEAVES | CORIANDER LEAVES||FEW|
- Chop the tomatoes and carrots and peel the skin of the shallots.
- In a pan, add a tsp of oil and roast the coriander seeds(dhania),red chilli and 2-3 shallots.
- When it turns brown add half portion of the chopped tomatoes and saute in a medium flame till the tomatoes becomes soft.
- Allow it to cool and and grind it into a smooth paste adding the pottukadalai (roasted gram)to it.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and when it splutters add in the remaining shallots and when they are slightly brown add the remaining half of the chopped tomatoes.
- Now add the carrots and saute for a minute and add the tamarind extract and add 2 cups of water. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Allow it to boil for few minutes till the carrot becomes soft.
- Add the ground spice mix to it and before adding the ground masala dilute it with 1/2 cup of water.
- Allow this to boil and garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- If you find the sambar is thick just add water to dilute it and bring it to a boil.
- Serve it hot with Idli | dosa | pongal.