When i posted the Sambar Powder recipe i thought i will post the recipe of Sambar with home made sambar powder. Here is my version of Drumstick sambar recipe.
INGREDIENTS: (SERVES 3-4 )
|TAMARIND EXTRACT||1 AND 1/2 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||2 AND 1/2 TSP|
|TOOR DAL||3/4 CUP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||1 (OPTIONAL)|
- Soak a small lemon sized tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes and extract the juice by adding 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook the toor dal with a pinch of turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles in a pressure cooker by adding necessary water.
- Cut the drumstick into even small sizes.
- In a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and the red chilli.
- Add the cut drumstick and saute for a minute, and add the tamarind extract.
- Now add the sambar powder, salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Allow this to boil and let the drumstick to cook. Keep the flame to medium.
- After few minutes check whether the drumstick has cooked and if done add thetoor dal. Mash it with the back of the ladle before you add. If the consistency is too thick add water to get the right consistency.
- Add curry leaves and bring this to a nice boil. My mom will add finely chopped coriander leaves too.
- Serve hot with rice or even for Idli | Dosa too.
- We had drumstick sambar with Beans curry and rice.
Check out my Arachuvitta Vengaya Sambar recipe too
- We won’t add shallots in all sambar . If you want to add you can add after the mustard splutters.
- If the sambar is too thin you can mix 1-2 tsp of rice flour in water without any lumps and add in the last and give a nice boil. Don’t add too much of rice flour as it will spoil the taste of the sambar.