When i posted the recipe of Rasam Powder , i got many mails to post the recipe for sambar powder. I use sambar powder in most of my recipes and i love the one which my mom makes in bulk and pack for me during our visit to India. She is very particular to use the best quality of the ingredients as it will give a nice flavor to the sambar.
|RED CHILLI (USE LONG VARIETY)||1/2 KG|
|CORIANDER SEEDS(DHANIYA)||3/4 KG|
|TOOR DAL||100 GMS|
|BLACK PEPPER||50 GMS|
|METHI SEEDS(VENDAYAM)||1 TBLSP|
- Dry all the ingredients separately in a wide plate or on a newspaper in hot sun for 6-7 hours.
- If you didn’t get proper sun during rainy days, u can microwave the ingredients for few minutes without changing the color of the ingredients.
- Give it to a mill (rice mill) and make it into a fine powder.
- Once done , spread the Sambar powder in a wide plate in shade (inside the house) for 10 minutes and store them in a dry, clean container. Always handle this with a dry spoon.
- You can keep this in the refrigerator for longer use.
This is the usual procedure in which we make sambar method at our place.
I will share the sambar recipe in my next post.