INGREDIENTS: SERVES 3-4
|VAZHAITHANDHU|BANANA STEM| PLANTAIN STEM||1 MEDIUM SIZE PIECE|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|COCONUT OIL||1/2 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|URAD DAL||1/4 TSP|
- Cut the banana stem into roundels and take out the fibre.
- Cut them into cubes. and put the chopped vazhaithandhu into water. Add 1 tblsp of butter milk to this water. this is to avoid the change of colour the veggie.
- Mine was slightly dark as the vazhaithandhu was like that only.
- I chopped it previous night and kept in the refrigerator.
- Before making, drain out the water and add the chopped vazhaithandhu to the pan.
- Add salt to this and cook in a medium flame. do not add water. If u need, just sprinkle 1 tblsp of water. This will get cooked soon.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilli and jeera into a fine paste. If needed add little water to this.
- Add this ground paste to the cooked vazhaithandhu. Mix well.
- Just let it boil for a minute.
- Temper with mustard seeds , urad dal and red chilli.
- Just before serving beat the yogurt and add it to the morkootu. Garnish with fresh curry leaves.
- Serve with any spicy gravy. We had with Applam Vatha kuzhambhu.
- If you feel the gravy is thin before adding yogurt, add 1/2 tsp of rice flour to the water and mix without any lumps. Add to the gravy and let it come to a boil.
- Do not add sour yogurt| curd.