Aloo Simla Mirch is a very flavourful, onion tomato based masala which i can say a very perfect side dish for Roti. This Aloo Simla Mirch , we tried in a Indian restaurant in Hanoi (Vietnam) during our holiday. I wanted to recreate a similar one at home and tried this few days back at home . It was a super duper hit and the taste was close to the one which we tasted in the restaurant. I have few restaurant style recipes coming up here in the coming weeks.
INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4-5
|GINGER GARLIC PASTE||1 TSP|
|CUMIN SEED||1/4 TSP|
|TOMATO PUREE||2 TBLSP OR 1 TOMATO|
|CORIANDER POWDER||1/2 TSP|
|CUMIN SEED POWDER||1/4 TSP|
|RED CHILLI POWDER||1/2 TSP|
- Par boil the potatoes. Ensure not to over cook the potatoes. Let this be firm. Peel the skin and cut them length wise.
- Chop the onions very finely. In a pan add oil and the cumin seeds and add in the ginger garlic paste. When the raw smell goes off add in the chopped onions.
- When they turn translucent add the tomato puree.
- Throw in the red chilli powder, coriander powder , cumin seed powder, slat and garam masala.
- Keep in a low flame and saute well till the oil separates.
- Add the potatoes and add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir in between.
- Cut the capsicums lengthwise. Add it to the potato gravy.
- Mix well and let it boil for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Let the capsicum be crunchy.
- Flavourful aloo simla mirch is ready t serve. I didn’t add kasoori methi or coriander leaves in the last for garnishing as i want to enjoy the flavour of capsicum fully.
- You can add 1-2 tblsp of cream to bring richness to the gravy.
- Do not cook the capsicum, let this be crunchy.