INGREDIENTS : SERVES 4
|AVAL | POHA |RICE FLAKES||1/3 CUP|
|JAGGERY||1/2 TO 3/4 CUP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
- In a pan add ghee and roast the cashews till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Add the aval in the same pan and dry roast this till golden brown.
- Allow this to cool and just pulse this once in the mixer. This step is optional. You can continue without doing this.
- Add 2 cups of milk to this and start boiling this. Let the milk boil and after sometime keep the flame low and stir in between.
- In a pan add jaggery and add 1/4 cup of water. Melt the jaggery.
- Filter the impurities and boil it for 2 minutes.
- switch off the flame.
- Switch off the flame in the milk also. Poha tends to cook faster.
- Let both the milk mixture and jaggery becomes cool.
- Mix them both and add cardamom powder and cashew nuts.
- Aval payasam is ready for neivedhyam .
- Never add jaggery syrup to hot milk. it will get curdled immediately.
- Do not heat the payasam after mixing the jaggery and milk. this will get curdled.
- You can skip the step of grinding the poha too.
- Raisins can be fried and added to the payasam