Nei appam is generally made during Krishna jayanthi |Gokulashtami
along with Uppu seedai
and Vella seedai
. We also make this for Ganesha Chathurthi and Karthigai Deepam
too. Even for working women who cannot come and make all items elaborately after coming back from office, they can offer Nei appam and Aval payasam
for neivedhyam. This nei appam my amma makes very nice and generally she deep fries it . But i made in paniyaram pan . So sharing today the recipe of nei appam which i learnt from my mom.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 12 APPAMS
|RAVA | SOOJI
|1/4 CUP + 1 TBLSP
- Soak the rice, urad dal and rava for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this into thick paste without adding much water. When it is done, add the jaggery and pulse till it mixes to the rice mixture.
- Add coconut and cardamom powder to this and pulse again.
- The batter is ready, Let this be like a ildi batter consistency.
- Heat the paniyaram pan and add ghee to this. Spoon in the batter and keep the flame low. When it becomes golden brown flip on the other side. Add some ghee and cook till golden brown.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the batter too.
- Nei appams are ready for neivedhyam.
- If deep frying add ghee plus oil in a pan and spoon(little bigger spoon) in for one appam at a time.
- Instead of urad dal you can add 2 tblsp of wheat flour to ground rice and jaggery mixture.
- You can add mashed banana (1 banana) to get pillow soft appams.
- A pinch of baking soda can be added just before making this.
- If you feel the jaggery has impurities then grind the rice separatelythick, and melt the jaggery in little water and add filter this and add this to the rice paste.