Nei appam is generally made during Krishna jayanthi |Gokulashtami along with Uppu seedai and Vella seedai. We also make this for Ganesha Chathurthi and Karthigai Deepam too. Even for working women who cannot come and make all items elaborately after coming back from office, they can offer Nei appam and Aval payasam for neivedhyam. This nei appam my amma makes very nice and generally she deep fries it . But i made in paniyaram pan . So sharing today the recipe of nei appam which i learnt from my mom.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 12 APPAMS
|RAW RICE||1/2 CUP|
|URAD DAL||1 TBLSP|
|RAVA | SOOJI||1 TSP|
|JAGGERY||1/4 CUP + 1 TBLSP|
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|COCONUT GRATED||2 TBLSP|
- Soak the rice, urad dal and rava for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and grind this into thick paste without adding much water. When it is done, add the jaggery and pulse till it mixes to the rice mixture.
- Add coconut and cardamom powder to this and pulse again.
- The batter is ready, Let this be like a ildi batter consistency.
- Heat the paniyaram pan and add ghee to this. Spoon in the batter and keep the flame low. When it becomes golden brown flip on the other side. Add some ghee and cook till golden brown.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the batter too.
- Nei appams are ready for neivedhyam.
- If deep frying add ghee plus oil in a pan and spoon(little bigger spoon) in for one appam at a time.
- Instead of urad dal you can add 2 tblsp of wheat flour to ground rice and jaggery mixture.
- You can add mashed banana (1 banana) to get pillow soft appams.
- A pinch of baking soda can be added just before making this.
- If you feel the jaggery has impurities then grind the rice separatelythick, and melt the jaggery in little water and add filter this and add this to the rice paste.
nice and delicious appam..looks very tempting
Wow!!! What a perfect shape.. Looks very good..
nice yummy ones..
cute and perfect color appam….
Easy to make.. Looks so cute & inviting 🙂
perfect shape , color and easy to make 🙂 good one jey !
Very nice and delicious looks appams…
Perfect Shape.. Cute aapam
Wow, u made me drool. Me too posting the same but a quick version using rice flour 🙂
wow, yummy , perfect shape…
looks yummy… I always get one side round and other side flat. Please tell me how to get the round shape both sides.
they have turned out so well…they look so perfect
Just yesterday I followed your kaju-katri recipe n made kaju-badaam katri in my kitchen for mandir bhog 🙂 It came out very well.. Thanks for that recipe! This one too is a festive dish… I will make it soon for sure… 🙂
Now onwards follow me @ https://cookingwithsj.com
looks yummy & mouth watering.. nice presentation..
looks tempting and lovely pictures 🙂
Looks very tempting and perfectly browned too!
Do we use fresh coconut or dedicated?
I don't have raw rice… shall I use idly rice r cooking rice…. pls help
Try with Basmati rice it will be good. Idl;i rice will be dense and hard
nice and delicious recipies. urad dal measurement is whole dal or splitted one? plz. reply
It's whole urad dal
Hi jeyshri!! Drool-worthy appams!! Can i increase the ingredients proportionately to double the serving size? Thanks.
Thank you so much, yes definitely you can double the recipe.