When i posted the recipe of POORI MASALA | POORI KIZHANGU, few readers were asking to post the recipe of how to make poori too. Though i make it twice a month, but never had a chance to click the making of Poori as either it would be on weekends or on a weekday morning breakfast. Finally i made poori for kids snack , after they come from school, generally they eat meals as they normally take some tiffin like idli, paratha, chapathi or bread for lunch. When i made this around 3 pm suddenly i thought i would click poori so that it will be useful for readers too. So in a hurry i clicked and posting the recipe now.
Scroll down to note down the tips as how to make poori in advance if you have guests coming to home.
INGREDIENTS (YIELDS 1O POORIS)
|WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR||1 CUP|
|SOOJI (RAVA) |SEMOLINA||1/4 TSP(OPTIONAL)|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
|WATER||TO KNEAD THE DOUGH|
- In a wide bowl add the whole wheat flour, salt, sugar,sooji (if adding) and slowly add water to this and make this into a pliable dough.
- Do not make the dough very tight else while rolling it will not come smooth. Do not make it too soft else it will absorb oil too.
- Divide this into equal sized small balls.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. Dust the rolling board with flour and roll the ball into a small medium thick disc.
- When the oil is hot, carefully drop this into the oil and deep fry on both sides.
- Using a jolted ladle take out the puffed poori draining the excess oil.
- Always ensure that the oil is very hot. else pooris will not puff.
- If the pooris while rolling has any hole in it it will not puff.
Notes for making pooris for guests
Generally i won’t opt for making pooris when i have guests coming to my house for lunch or dinner. I always make Chapathis as i can make in advance and keep in a casserole. If i start make making pooris, i can not spend time with the guests and finally they also end up coming in the kitchen to help me out to roll the pooris. But i learnt this tip from a friend which i tried twice and it worked out very well.
- Grease a wide plate with oil.
- Roll the pooris as mentioned above . Place them on the greased plate . while placing do not keep it one above the other. they should not be over lapped.
- Put a cling wrap on this and keep it in the refrigerator . this can be made 1- 2 hrs in advance.
- Just when all are ready to eat, heat the oil and start frying the pooris.
- You get fluffy soft pooris.