This time while i was making , while frying one by mistake one modak got opened and the jaggery poornam came out and messed up the oil. Though immediately i took the others and changed to a different pan with oil and fried, you could see some spots of jaggery on the modak. This deep fried modakam is totally addictive and will be crispy too.
INGREDIENTS: MAKES 12- 13 MODAK
|CARDAMOM POWDER||A PINCH|
|MAIDA | ALL PURPOSE FLOUR||1/4 CUP|
|WATER||TO KNEAD DOUGH|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
- Ina bowl put maida and add salt. Knead it into a smooth dough and grease this with ghee keep it covered aside.
- Make the poornam as we do for the normal Thengai poornam kozhukattai.
- Combine the jaggery and coconut and cardamom powder. Saute this till it comes into a whole mass. Put off the flame.
- When it is cool, make this into small equal sized ball.
- Do not make it too thin, else the poornam will come out while frying.
- Cut this into small roundels using a sharp lid.
- Place the poornam into this and seal this carefully and make it as a modak shape.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the dough and poornam.
- Heat oil for deep frying, When it is hot, bring the flame to low.
- Deep fry the modakams till the out cover turns a golden brown colour.
- Do not fry in high heat, as it tends to burn very fast. And even it will not turn crispy too.
- Drain them in a kitchen towel.
- I have tried with whole wheat flour too, but it was not too not crispy.
- Seal the modakams carefully, else it will open up while frying and mess up the oil.