Murukku is an easy snack which is made in most of the houses for diwali. Generally we make Thenkuzhal or mullu murukku for Diwali. But my sister was telling me to post this thengai paal murruku since last diwali. Since i was not sure as it will be give a mild sweet ness i didn’t try. But very recently i came to know that this Thengai paal murukku will be very flavorful and will not have any traces of sweetness. In this murukku we add only thin coconut milk. So don’t worry about the high calorie of coconut milk. It tasted super flavourful and thanks to my friend’s Mother in law for this recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINUTES .COOKING TIME:25 MINUTES. MAKES: 15 MURUKKU
|RICE FLOUR||1 CUP|
|MOONG DAL||1/4 CUP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|OIL||FOR DEEP FRYING|
- Dry roast the moong dal in a pan for few minutes without getting it burnt.
- When cool grind this into a fine powder in a mixer.
- In a wide bowl add in the rice flour, moong dal and mix well.
- Now grind the coconut in a mixer by adding little water. Grind this smoothly into a fine paste.
- After that take out the milk from this by adding the remaining water. Squeeze it in a filter to extract thin coconut milk. The total process needs 1 cup of water. Thin coconut milk is ready.
- Knead the flour using the thin coconut milk after adding cumin seeds and soft butter.
- Knead into a pliable soft dough without any cracks. It consumed the full coconut milk for the flour. If by any chance you feel the coconut milk is less to make the dough add water.
- Use the mullu murukku achu for this . The single Star one.
- Heat oil and once it becomes hot, start making murukku. you can either squeeze it directly into the oil or you can squeeze in a ladle and transfer it to the oil.
- cook till the sizzle sound of the oil subsides.
- Drain in a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the same process for the entire dough.
- If making in bulk , knead the dough little by little. do not knead the entire dough in one shot.
- the muruku will tend to turn reddish color while frying if you keep the kneaded dough for a long time.