No onion no garlic recipes
Soak the dal for 30 minutes. Chop the turnip , brinjal and tomato very finely. Slit the green chilli. Soak small lemon sized tamarind in hot water and extract 1 cup of tamarind water.
In a pressure cooker add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and add the slit green chilli. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the veggies and saute for a while . Add the tamarind water,sambar powder, salt, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add the soaked dal to this and pressure cook till 3 whistles. Mix this well and add the jaggery . the jaggery will get melted in the heat.
- Garnish with curry leaves or coriander leaves. A perfect side dish for pongal and idli.
- You can add any veggie of your choice. But traditionally turnip, brinjal is added.
- You can add carrots and potato too.
- If you like onion you can add while adding the mustard seeds.