INDIAN COOKING BASICS
Check out these recipes using basmati rice:
- Wash the rice 2-3 times and add soak it in 1 and 1/4 cup of water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes keep the water aside and put the rice in strainer and keep it open for 5 minutes. This step is to get he moisture get rid off from the rice to make it perfect grains.
- Alternatively you can saute the rice in a pan for 5 minutes in a low flame.
- Add this rice to a vessel and add the soaked water, salt ,lemon juice and oil.
- Cover it with a lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the steam the subside.
- Once done, open the cooker and fluff the rice gently with fork. Be very careful not to make it mushy. For making pulao | fried rice spread this in a plate and allow it to cool. You can add 1/2 tsp of oil while spreading.
- Basmati rice is ready for pulao. You can have this plain too with Rajma masala.
- If making in pan, always use heavy bottomed pan. Add the soaked rice in the pan and once it starts boiling put in a low flame and cover it and keep. Leave it un disturbed. Let the flame be very very low. The water will be for 1 cup of rice in this method is 1: 1 and 1/2 cup water.
- Switch off once the water evaporates.
- sometimes if you are in a hurry and don’t have time to soak, just wash it 3 times and add 1 and 3/4 cup of water and cook in pressure cooker by adding salt, lemon juice and oil.
- Lemon juice gives nice white colour to the rice and will not taste bitter at all.
- Washing rice 2-3 times helps to remove the extra starch from the rice and make it fluffy and grainy.