Instant lemon pickle
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes: 1 cup approx.
Ripe Lemons 5
Red chili powder 2 - 3 tsp
Salt as needed
Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Methi seeds |vendayam 1/4 tsp
Sesame oil 3-4 tblsp
- Wash the lemons and cook this in pressure cooker till 4-5 whistles and keep in a small flame for 5 minutes . Switch off the flame.
- Do not add too much water . We will not use the water, so keep it very less.Else keep this inside a vessel and pressure cook.
- The lemons will become soft when it is cooked.
- Discard the water and cut the lemon into 4 pieces.
- Add the salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder and roasted vendaya powder. Just dry roast the methi seeds in a pan and powder this in a mortar and pestle.
- Do not add more methi seeds else the pickle will become bitter.
- Add the red chili powder to this . Use the nice colour variety of kashmiri chili. Mine is home made, my amma got for me from India.
- Add sesame oil in a pan and throw in the mustard seeds.
- Once it crackles nicely add this over the red chili powder.
- Mix this well with a clean spoon.
- Lemon pickle is ready.
- Transfer this to a clean dry glass jar. Keep this outside for 4-5 hours and then refrigerate the pickle.
- Do not cook the lemons after cutting the lemons. This will make the pickle bitter.
- Add only little vendaya podi ( methi seeds powder) else this will make the pickle bitter.
- I added 3 tblsp of sesame oil . Amma told me to add 2 more spoons. So you add accordingly.
- If handled properly this pickle will stay god for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.