Soya chunks is a rare item in my kitchen. When i was cleaning my freezer today, found this soya chunks and wanted to make soya chunks cutlet . As the bread crumbs was out of stock , i thought i will make a pepper fry . It turned out so yum and i just enjoyed with simple garlic rasam. I will post the soya chunks cutlet recipe next week. Check out my soya chunks biryani.
Soya chunks pepper fry
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2
Soya chunks | meal maker 1 cup
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Milk 2 tblsp
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Red chili 1
Fennel powder | fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Garlic pods 8-10
Rice flour 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Oil 1 tblsp
- In a pan add 2 cups of water . When it starts boiling add the soya chunks to this. Add 2 tblsp of milk to this. Adding milk is to get rid of the raw smell of the soya chunks.
- Boil this for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water and when the chunks are warm, gently squeeze out the extra water. Transfer this in a wide bowl.
- Add the pepper powder(i ground it freshly using a mortar and pestel), red chili powder, salt and finely chopped curry leaves.
- Add the rice flour and fennel powder. If using fennel seeds crush this finely or coarsely. Mix this well and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds , red chili and garlic pods. Add the marinated soya chunks to this.
- Cook this for 15 minutes stiring in between.
- This wil become flavourful and emits a nice aroma and turns slightly crispy on the outer side.
- Soya chunks pepper fry is ready to serve.
- Since the soya chunks will be bland, do not reduce the quantity of the spices. Even for spice lovers, you can add little more of pepper powder too.
- Finley chopped onions can be added while adding the garlic.
- Fennel powder can be replaced with jeera powder too.