Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 3-4
Raw banana 1 big
Shallots | sinna vengayam 3
Coconut grated 1 tblsp
Sambar powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
- Peel the skin of the vazhakkai and cut the raw banana into big cubes.
- Slice the onions and tomatoes into thin long slices.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the onions and cook in a medium flame till it turns translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till it becomes mushy. Add the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add in the cut vazhakkai and sprinkle little water to this and mix well. Cook this till the vazhakkai becomes soft . Stir this often and sprinkle little water if needed.
- Grind the shallots and coconut coarsely. You can add very little water if you want.
- Add this to the cooked vazhakkai mixture and mix evenly and carefully.
- Cook for 2 minutes in a medium flame and switch off the flame.
- Chettinad style vazhakkai curry is ready.
- You can add fennel seeds | sombu while adding mustard seeds or it can be added while grinding with coconut.
- You can replace vazhakkai with dried peas and fresh mochai or green peas.
- Sambar powder can be replaced with red chili powder.
- You can lessen little sambar powder and add few pepper corns while grinding.