EASY KRISHNA JAYANTHI RECIPES
Instant Nei appam
Preparation Time : 10 mins + 2 hrs resting time | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Makes: 15 appams
Rice flour 1/2 cup
Jaggery 1/4 cup
Fresh coconut scrapped 1 tblsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Banana 2 small
Salt a pinch
Baking soda a pinch
Milk 1/2 cup
Ghee 1-2 tsp
- In a wide bowl add the rice flour. You can use store bought rice flour or idiyappam flour too. Add the coconut, cardamom powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a pan add jaggery and add 3 tblsp of water. Let the jaggery melt and when it starts boiling switch off the flame.
- Filter the jaggery and remove the impurities. Add it to the flour .
- Puree the banana in a mixer. If you can mash it well with your hands also fine. Nicely ripe banana works out well.
- Add the filtered jaggery and banana puree to the flour.
- Mix this well and keep this aside for 2 hours. After 2 hours, After 2 hours add the milk to this. I used raw milk. You can use boiled and cooled milk.
- Mix well and bring the batter to a idli batter consistency. If needed add 1-2 tblsp of milk.
- Heat the paniyaram pan and add little ghee to each holes.
- Cover this and cook in a medium low flame. Once it is done on side flip the appams using a skewer or fork.
- Add little drops of ghee and flip it again and keep it for few seconds and take it out from the pan.
- Repeat this for the rest of the batter. Instant nei appams are ready for neivedhyam.
- Adding bananas will give soft appams. Baking soda will make it fluffy too.
- Ensure that the batter is not too thick. Else you will end up in hard appams.
- If by any chance the batter becomes watery, add a tblsp of rava or whole wheat flour.