Tawa Idli is a popular street food made with left over Idlis, which serves as a delicious snack |tiffin. Generally we make idli upma or podi idli recipe using left over idli. This recipe of spicy tawa idli i saw in Tarla dalal's space and bookmarked it too. Yesterday i had a whole lot of 7 idlis which was left and made this tawa idlis. It turned out pretty well and got ready in 10 minutes. Kids loved the idlis and it tasted similar to the tawa pulao. If you are looking for some more recipes using left over idlis, try out the
Spicy Tawa idli
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 15 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Butter 1 tblsp
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Pav bhaji masala 1 tsp
Capsicum 1 tbslp (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves few
Salt as needed
Video of Spicy tawa idli recipe
- Cook the idlis and keep it aside. Left over idlis will be perfect for this recipe. But if you have fresh idlis, just keep it covered in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cut them into cubes. Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- In a pan add butter. You can use oil too, but butter gives a fantastic flavour to the tawa idli.
- Add the finely chopped onions to this. Saute till the onions turn pink.
- Now add in the tomato. Cook for a minute.
- Add in the red chili powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala and salt.
- Mix well to get the masalas evenly spread.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. Do not add more water, else idlis will become soggy.
- Cook this for a minute.
- Add in the cubed idlis and mix gently to get the masalas get coated evenly.
- Add lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add the chopped capsicum and mix well.
- Cook in a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Tawa idli is ready to serve. Serve hot with accompaniment of a hot cup of masala chai.
- You can add green peas and carrots to this masala.
- Pav bhaji masala gives a nice flavour to the tawa idli, so do not skip or replace with any other masala.
- Add little more red chili powder if you want the idlis more spicy. I made this mild spicy.
- You can add few chopped green chilis in the beginning to make tawa idli more spicy.