I learnt this from my mom who is an expert in making avial. Generally aviyal is served with coconut rice , lemon rice or any south indian rice varieties and also with adai too. We make this compulsorily on festivals like kannu pongal and aadi perukku .
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 6-7
Mixed Vegetables* 4 cups
Coconut 1/2 Cup
Green chili 2
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Cashew nuts 8-10 (optional)
Curry leaves few
Coconut oil 1 tblsp
Yogurt | curd 3 tbslp
* Normally veggies like carrot,beans,potato,raw banana,yam,drumstick,chow chow,white pumpkin,snake gourd , green peas are used in aviyal.
But due to non-availability of some veggies , i used carrot,beans ,chow chow .
Video of How to make Aviyal
- Cut the vegetables into cubes.
- Add the veggies to the wide pan.
- Add salt to this and add 1 cup of water.
- If you are adding white pumpkin(ashguard) or drumstick cook it separately.
- Cook till the veggies become soft, and ensure they should not be mashed.
- Grind the chillies,coconut and jeeragam into a fine paste using a mixie. If adding cashew nuts soak it in hot water for 5 minutes and grind it together with coconut.
- Cashew gives a nice creamy texture.
- You can add little water while grinding this.
- Add this ground coconut mixture to the cooked veggies. check for salt.
- Bring it to boil. Switch off the gas and add the coconut oil to it .
- Add curry leaves.
- Allow this to completely cool. Add beaten yogurt to this just before serving.
- Ensure that the yogurt is not sour.
- Do not add the yogurt when the aviyal is hot.
- Adding yogurt well in advance make the aviyal sour, so add yogurt just before serving.
- If you do no like adding yogurt just skip adding that.
- Adding cashew gives a nice creamy texture.
- You can add boiled peanuts or white channa to the aviyal.