Home Gravy Tomato rasam recipe | south indian rasam recipes

Tomato rasam recipe | south indian rasam recipes

by Jeyashris Kitchen
956 views
TOMATO RASAM RECIPE
Rasam is always loved in my family and i make this on all weekends. Normally i make tomato rasam and add some toordhal to it. Some may call this as PARRUPU RASAM also.
My mom and my mil,used to make rasam in a special vessel made out of lead. We call this “Eiyya Chombhu” in tamil. This vessel itself enhances the taste of rasam. My mom also gave me one when i got married. Now i am making rasam in this,and no doubt this is loved by all in my family.
We can make it in a kadai/a normal vessel too. Check out my kandanthipili  rasam recipe .

Tomato rasam recipe

Coriander leaves   few
    Mustard seeds   1/4 tsp
    Cumin seeds   1/4 tsp
    Ghee | oil   1/2 tsp

tomato rasam
Method:

• Cut the tomatoes and puree it in the mixie.
    IMG_0155 IMG_0157
  • Transfer it to a vessel and add the tamarind extract,sambar powder,turmeric powder ,salt,asafoetida and put it on the stove top.
  • Keep it in a very low flame and close it with a lid.
IMG_0160 IMG_0161
  • Allow it to boil for 10 mins or till the raw smell of the sambar powder goes off.
  • Add a cup of the water to the cooked toordhal and mix well.
  • Now add this dal water to the  boiling rasam.
IMG_0162-1 IMG_0164
  • Don’t allow this to boil, just switch off the flame when it is frothy.

DSCN3435-1

• Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds in oil/ghee and add it to the rasam.
  • Add curry leaves and coriander leaves.

Picture updated .
Thakkali rasam

You may also like

35 comments

RAKS KITCHEN July 10, 2010 - 2:58 pm

Wow,bright pictures of the frothy rasam!I am a fan of rasams too, and i scrolled down eagerly to see the eiya sombu as I have never seen,just have heard abt it. Its a wonderful method followed as eiya sombu will melt if rasam is boiled for so long and hence we will keep an eye,eventually rasam also will retain its flavor!

Priya July 10, 2010 - 3:05 pm

My mom used to prepare in eeiya sombhu, but here its not possible at all, tomato rasam and papads are my fav, comforting food Jeya..

Pavithra July 10, 2010 - 3:07 pm

Wonderful pictures jeyashri.. I am too love rasam anytime . that too tomato rasam yummy!!!!! I love the utensil as well. Did u made changes to layout? looks good jeyshri…

Lavi July 10, 2010 - 3:21 pm

Superb Rasam! enakku ippo eiya sombu vanganum nnu aasai ya irukku:)

Sayantani July 10, 2010 - 3:59 pm

woow my mouth is watering looking at this picture. so tangy spicy rasam…perfect to have rice with.

admin July 11, 2010 - 12:32 am

thanks u friends.
@raji,while making rasam in this vessel,we have to keep a close eye on this and the flame should always be in low. My mom even dont use "iddiki"(tong) to carry the vessel as it will make a dent on it.
@pavitra,i have changed my layout and still working on it.

sowmya's creative saga July 11, 2010 - 1:43 am

I also possess a eeya chembu and the flavour of the rasam made in this is out of the world..

Vidhya July 11, 2010 - 2:52 am

I have heard about the eeiya sombu.one of my family friend in chennai uses this vessel to make sambar. Rasam is so tangy.

Priti July 11, 2010 - 4:56 am

The new template is very gud…looks vibrant now…and rasam is yum..am just thinking of making rasam now…will try your method…pics are so gud dear

Sushma Mallya July 11, 2010 - 1:56 pm

such a beautiful click,looks very nice and healthy

Meena Sankaran July 12, 2010 - 12:30 am

I can smell the flavor all the way up in Richmond, Jeyammaa. Vaasanai mookka tholaikkaradhu po!

Premalatha Aravindhan July 12, 2010 - 2:49 am

Wow Jeyashri!!! Tomato Rasam in eiya sombu sounds too gud,My mil used to prepare in eiya sombu.This luks yummy.

GayathriRaj July 12, 2010 - 3:09 am

Hey wow thats so fantastic one….loved the pics and very useful too….
hey that adding of tor dal water is new to me…is it very necessary…very nice recipe….i do it in a very different way…all time fav tomato rasam with perfect pics….loved it…

SpicyTasty July 12, 2010 - 4:57 am

Rasam looks lovely and inviting.

Usha July 12, 2010 - 6:35 pm

Rasam made in eiyya chombhu is the best tasting rasam ! Looks delicious and inviting !

PranisKitchen July 12, 2010 - 6:40 pm

wow really delicious rasam.. if we make the rasam in these kind of chembu it will give more taste.. so yummy yummy rasam rice poriyal and rasam realy mouthwatering combo

Suhaina July 13, 2010 - 2:56 am

wow. ur photos have become stunning now. did u buy a new camera or using new techniques to capture… amazing snaps dear… very well illustrated.. can make the rasam just by looking at ur wonderful pictures.. Rasam is my fav too. I will make ur recipe this week for sure.. thanks Jey for the wonderful recipe.

admin July 13, 2010 - 4:16 am

@suhaina, thanks for ur wonderful comment.do try this and i assure u will surely love this.
and yes, i bought a new DSLR camera last month .

Chitra July 13, 2010 - 11:13 am

Nice , xcellent pics..will try this rasam 2morow.but i dont have eiya sombu 🙁 does the taste differ ?

Padhu July 13, 2010 - 2:15 pm

Nice pictures and rasam looks yummy!! U have eeiya sombhu even now

Neetz July 13, 2010 - 5:42 pm

wow!!!! i simply love it!!..feel like drinking from it straight :)…
hey jeya…its been long time since u passed ur comments on mine…really missing ur thoughts..do drop in when u get time and share ur thoughts too 🙂

PALATABLE July 13, 2010 - 5:57 pm

Lovely snap and looks so delicious dear, this is my favorite too…

Lav July 14, 2010 - 2:31 am

hi jayshree…yummy and easy recipe….first time here…u have a wonderful blog :)Am a new kid in the blogosphere 🙂

Lavanya

Pari July 14, 2010 - 8:15 am

Hi Jeyashri, I am also a big fan of rasam. This vessel is new to me and sounds very interesting.

admin July 15, 2010 - 4:24 am

yes padhu,i still use the eyya chombhu

Sandhya Hariharan July 15, 2010 - 9:06 am

I love rasam made in eiya chombu… My granny has kept hers for me….We definitely need to be careful while using this and the flame has be me checked …
Well presented!!

பாஸ்கரன் சுப்ரமணியன் July 15, 2010 - 1:52 pm

அருமையான ரசம் …எனது சோம்பல் காரணமாக , மிக்ஸ்சியில் சிறிது தண்ணீர் ஊற்றி ஒரு தக்காளி + சிறிது சீரகம் + மிளகு + மஞ்சள் போடி + பூண்டு போட்டு அரைத்த கலவையை சிறிது எண்ணையில் தாளித்து ரசத்தை முடித்து விடுவேன்

Aruna Manikandan July 17, 2010 - 7:24 am

Rasam looks perfect dear ..
lovely pics:-)

தக்குடுபாண்டி July 17, 2010 - 2:14 pm

அக்கா ரசம் திவ்யமா இருக்கு பாக்கர்துக்கு. ஆனா ஒரு சந்தேகம். ஈய சொம்புல ரசத்தை விட்டு வெச்சாதான் ஒரு ப்ரத்யேகமான சுவை கிட்டும், மேலும் ஈயச் சொம்பை நேரடியா அடுப்பில் ஏத்தக் கூடாது, ஏன்னா அது நாளாவட்டத்துல இளக ஆரம்பிச்சுடும்னு சொல்லுவா எங்க ஊர்ல. நீங்க எதுக்கும் ஒரு தடவை விஷயம் தெரிஞ்சவா யார்டையாவது கேட்டுட்டு மறக்காம தக்குடுவுக்கும் பண்ணுங்கோ. சரியா!…:)

aipi July 17, 2010 - 2:30 pm

Hey Jeyashri.. first time here.. you have a lovely space with a wonderful collection.. the rasam looks really nice..loved the color.. awesome clicks too.. do drop in at my space sometime !

oiue bake July 9, 2011 - 9:56 am

It picture are looking is really very nice. I am too love rasam anytime. It is very testy and healthy. It color looking so nice.
Debts

Naveen Na February 8, 2014 - 8:47 pm

Hello, This is a great recipe site and i am very thankful to you. Just want to let you know , cooking in lead vessels is not a good idea when you have kids at home. Lead poisoning causes anemia. FYI

Subraman February 27, 2014 - 10:19 am

Jeyashri, I tried this recipe with a minor modification of adding green chillies and boiling whole tomatoes instead of puree..it came out very well..good recipe…I dont have the eyya chembu though..used a iron pot.

Siddhartha Sampath April 3, 2016 - 2:07 am

Thank you for your recipe, the pictures look wonderful.

I just want to caution you and other readers, I'm not sure what kind of lead vessel you are talking about, I'm sure it was coated, but in many rural areas, lead vessels are used and lead to severe cases of lead poisoning.

Lead is an extremely toxic substance to most animals and leads to many severe illnesses including violent mental ones. Please stick to safer alternatives for your cooking utensils.

Again, love the recipe and the pictures, but stay away from lead.

Shravani K November 21, 2016 - 3:33 pm

Awesome clicks and yummy flavourful rasam. I could feel the aroma of this rasam through my laptop. Brass Pot used for presentation is too cute.