Gutti vangaya kura is basically a dish from Andhra. I happened to taste this in a friend’s place few months back. Hooked by the taste of this andhra style stuffed brinjals recipes, noted down the recipe from her. Last week while going to drop the kids to class, saw this cute brinjals | eggplants in the Indian store located there. They were so fresh too. Picked a pack of this keeping in mind to make the Gutti vangaya kura a popular andhra dish, made during weddings too. Everyone has their own touch of making this dish but i adopted this from my friend’s recipe, from whom i learnt andhra style pulihora.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 35 Mins |Serves: 2
Eggplants | small brinjals 6
Tomato 1 small
Tamarind a small piece
Coconut 2 tsp
Cashew nuts 6
Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Garam masala 2 pinches
Ginger a small piece
Garlic 3 pods
Salt to taste
Oil 2 tblsp
- Grind all the ingredients except brinjal and oil into a fine paste. Grind them raw. No need to cook.
- Wash the brinjals and slit them from the backside. For this recipe we need to retain the top portion, which we usually discard.
- Stuff the grind masala inside the brinjals.
- Repeat this for all the brinjlas. You cannot stuff all the masalas inside the brinjal. You will be left with some roughly 1/4 cup of masala.
- In a pan, add oil and place the stuffed brinjals carefully inside it. Keep the flame low.
- Allow this to cook on all sides by carefully and gently turning it on all sides. Ensure the flame is small. Else it will get burnt. Let the brinjals turn soft.
- Add half cup of water to the remaining masala. Add this to the cooked brinjals. Cook till it oozes out the oil on the sides.
- Gutti vangaya kura is ready to serve. It can be mixed with rice also or can be had with rasam rice too.
- Perfect with rotis too.
- Do not add water while grinding the masala.
- Cashew nuts can be replaced with 1 tsp of peanuts and 1/2 tsp of pottukdalai|chutney dal.
- Ensure that it is always cooked on low flame to avoid getting burnt.
- To make this less oily, you can do the stuffing and add little oil and keep it inside a pressure pan. Give one whistle and follow with rest of the steps.