Bhindi fry | Vendakkai varuval is a crispy recipe that can be had with rice and also as a tea-time snack. We always make Vendakkai curry | Poriyal but I wanted to make varuval | fry for a long time. Yesterday when I saw fresh ladies finger in the nearby Indian shop, I bought the and made vendakkai varuval with a portion of the vendakkai i bought. The ladies finger fry turned out so crispy and the kids took it with rice and dal for lunch box.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 2-3
Ladies Finger 250 gms
Red chili powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
Besan | Kadalai maavu 2 tblsp
Rice flour 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Yogurt 1 tblsp
Lemon juice 1 tsp ( optional)
Oil to deep fry
- Wash the okra | ladies finger and pat dry them nicely. If the fry is planned ahead, wash it and keep it outside so that it will be dry.
- Cut them into roundels as how we do for the curry.
- In a wide bowl add the ladies finger, besan, red chili powder, rice flour, salt, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Mix them well and squeeze the lemon juice. Instead of lemon juice, you can add a pinch of amchoor powder.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying. When the oil is hot, keep the flame to medium. Fry the Ladies’ finger mixture in batches. Do not crowd the pan, or else it will become soggy.
- Fry till they become golden brown and drain the excess oil in a kitchen towel.
- Crispy vendakkai fry is ready to serve. Serve immediately. Goes very with Sambar sadam.
- Ensure that the ladies finger are not wet before chopping.
- Do not add more yogurt than the quantity mentioned.
- You can add amchur powder instead of lemon juice.
- If made in the bulk mix the powders and yogurt in batches, else will become soggy.
- Fry and serve immediately.