Home Breakfast Recipes How to make idli batter in mixie | indian kitchen basics

How to make idli batter in mixie | indian kitchen basics

by Jeyashris Kitchen
462 views
IDLI BATTER IN MIXIE
This is the first time i attempted idli batter recipe using a mixie. After the super hit of my idli batter recipe using grinder, many readers were asking me to post idli batter recipe using mixie. Though idli is a staple south indian breakfast , my kids are not much fond of that. But i make it once a week and pack it for them in the lunch box. My mom sometimes makes the batter in mixie,personally i have never tried it at home. Yesterday i attempted it and it was a super hit too. The idlis were very soft and fluffy. If it is for small quantity, you can surely try the batter using mixie. It turns out well for dosa too. Refer to the tips given at the end of the post. Check my idli recipe using idli rava.

Idli batter in Mixie

Preparation Time : 10 mins+3hrs soaking | Cooking Time : 10Mins |   Makes: 10 idlis

Idli rice *      3 cups
   Urad dal(whole)   1 cup
   Salt     as needed
   Water    to grind
 *I used the 1/4 cup measure

idli batter in mixie
Method:

• Wash and soak the rice and urad dal together for 3 hours. You can keep it in the refrigerator after half an hour.
  • Drain the water and keep the water aside. The water we are going to use while grinding.
  • If you didn’t keep the soaked rice and dal in the refrigerator you can add few ice cubes to the water. Adding ice water while grinding makes the batter fluffy and the heat of the mixie will not affect the batter.
  • Grind the rice and urad dal by adding cold water time to time. Do not add too much. Add little by little. do not run the mixie continously. Give 5 seconds break and run the mixie. Once 3/4 th is done, use the whip mode to grind it. (turn the nob backwards from 0) This will make the batter fluffy.

idli in mixie

• Transfer this to a container and add salt and allow this to sit for 7-8 hours for fermentation .

idli batter

• Once done, grease the idli plates and pour the batter on the idli moulds. Cook it till it is completely cooked. Check it by inserting clean stick or moist fingers in the middle of the idli.

idli batter

• Once done take this out and afer a minute , using a wet spooon take the idlis out from the mould.
  • Serve hot with any chutney or sambar of your choice.
idli batter recipe
Notes:
  1. Adding cold water while grinding makes the idli softer and fluffy.
  2. Do not leave it in the mixie jar for a long time after griding. Immediately transfer it to a container.
  3. If your urad dal is bit old and doesn’t raise much, add 2 tblsp of poha|aval while soaking.
  4. This works out well for both idli and dosa too.
  5. After adding salt, using clean hands mix the batter with your hands. This will enable nice fermentation.
  6. If living in a cold county, keep the batter inside a cupboard or a warm place or inside an oven which is switched off.
  7. For larger quantities always use grinder. Else grind in 2 batches.

You may also like

21 comments

kirthika shyam June 12, 2015 - 5:23 am

No need to add Fenugreek Seeds?

Sharafiya Shadhir February 2, 2016 - 4:45 am

aftr grinding idli batter .. urad dal taste it shows .. what should i do now..

jeyashri suresh February 2, 2016 - 6:21 am

Are the idlis turning out flat? If so, you soak a handful of idli rava or idli rice and grind it and ferment it and add to the batter. It may be because the urad dal may be too good. But if it is just a feeling of tasting the batter, make idlis and then try it

Aru March 7, 2016 - 10:02 am

Hi Jeyashri. I always used MTR Rice Idli mix as it was perfectly sufficient for my husband and me. However upon relocating to Denmark, it was impossible to get MTR mix as frequently as I'd like to and with no other option, I tried your idli batter in mixie recipe. Trust me, I'm so happy I tried. The idlis turned out amazingly well. Romba nandri! I'm a fan of your website now and determined to try out every single recipe. 🙂

vidhya ft March 17, 2016 - 2:18 pm

Hi.. Can we soak rice and urad dal together? Methi seeds not required?

jeyashri suresh March 18, 2016 - 12:58 am

Yes you can soak together. I always do that. Methi seeds i don't add, but if you want you can add

vidhya ft March 24, 2016 - 4:27 pm

Thank you, many r telling idli will be hard if we grind in MIXIE,but even though I tried it and going to prepare tomorrow, hope so idli will be soft

I would like to know the proportion for mixer Chari March 26, 2016 - 3:42 pm

where do i buy the idli pot that you are using!

jeyashri suresh March 28, 2016 - 1:49 pm

I got it from chennai. Ratna stores. You get in most of the small stores too

kavitha July 15, 2016 - 7:57 am

hi jeyashri 🙂 .I have a doubt. If we soak urad dal & rice together for 3 hrs in a bowl, then how can we grind them separately in a grinder

jeyashri suresh July 16, 2016 - 11:56 pm

Hi, no need to grind separately. It should be ground together. I have mentioned in the post and the pictures shows the same

Indhu July 24, 2016 - 5:57 am

Hi, my problem is that I don't get a crispy golden brown dosa. It gets soggy and deep brown or just stays white. List of things I tried: 3:1 & 3:1.5 rice to urad dal ratio. Good quality urad dal but not udhayam (I don't get it here).I use a non-stick tawa. Added oil while making dosa but didn't help much.I use mixie. Batter ferments well; idlys turn out soft but not in white color. So 2 problems 1. idly becomes dull white in color 2. dosa becomes soggy, more like a soft cloth. please help.

jeyashri suresh July 27, 2016 - 1:20 pm

Hi thanks for the message.
Reason for dull color of the idli may be due to the water. Ensure that the dosapan is properly heated and maintained in right temperature throughout. Cooking in low flame will make it soggy. Idli batter, dosas will be white in colour only. Add 1 tsp of sugar to the batter before making dosa. This will give nice golden brown colour

Vidya K October 22, 2016 - 5:14 am

The idlis turned out a bit dry. What can I do for this ? Please advise

jeyashri suresh October 24, 2016 - 1:36 pm

The batter must be thick or may be over steamed.

Vidya K October 25, 2016 - 6:00 am

When I left the batter in the fridge for later use I noticed that the rice had settled to the bottom of the container. I had to mix it properly before using. I'm not sure if the the ullundu was more or less. please help.

jeyashri suresh October 30, 2016 - 11:46 pm

I guess the urad dal was bit less, it sometimes depends on the quality of the dal too. Also ensure to grind this fluffy and mix well. Good fermentation too matters a lot.

Unknown April 11, 2017 - 9:44 am

your blog has really helped . i love your no onion and nogarlic section. if i want to make any north indian dish with ou onion or garlic i refer to your blog. i also like your breakfast items. simply super. keep up the good work.

Lavanya v April 11, 2017 - 9:46 am

i like your blog. your no onion no garlic recipes have helped me a lot. i also like your breakfast recipes. keep up the good work.

Unknown July 2, 2017 - 6:33 am

You are simply super. I am an old man, but whenever my wife is
away and I have to try a new recepie or forgotten a dish(I wish to
make), I go through your recepies and follow the instructions faithfully. Great! it is done deliciously and tasted by others(also my wife). I only remember my mother's cooking, whenever I try yours (alas she is nomore for over 20 years now).
Traditional and yet trendy, keeping with current times. Keep it up.

K V SANKARAN

jeyashri suresh July 4, 2017 - 4:14 am

Thank you so much sir. Very happy to know about that. Thank you for the wishes.