Ragi is also called as kezhvaragu in Tamil.I always make instant ragi dosa at home. When amma was here when we were talking casually she told we can soak whole ragi seeds and make ragi dosa too. So tried the mom’s ragi dosa recipe and it was a super hit. Amma told the recipe using raw rice and i replaced with samai rice. You can add varagu too. Try including ragi in your diet as it has lot of health benefits. If you are looking for a healthy and super tasy crispy dosa,then try out this ragi dosa recipe. We had this ragi dosai with thakkali thokku and a glass of pudina chaas. Will post the recipe of chaas soon.
Preparation Time : 2 hrs+6 hrs fermentation | Cooking Time : 3 Min|dosa |Makes:10-12
Ragi | finger millet |Kezhvaragu – 1/2 cup
Samai or varagu or raw rice – 1/2 cup
Urad dal | ulundu – 1/2 cup
Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
Aval| poha – 2 tblsp
Salt- as needed
Oil – to make dosa
- Wash and soak the ragi, samai (varagu or raw rice), urad dal,methi seeds and poha together for 2 hours.
- Grind this in a mixie or grinder into a fine paste.Add salt and ferment this for 6-7 hours.
- Mix this well and add little water to this and bring it to a dosa batter consistency.
- Heat the dosa tawa and pour in a ladle full of batter and spread it into a thin circle of dosa.
- Drizzle oil around the dosa.
- Keep the flame medium.
- Cook on one side and when it is done flip the dosa in keep it in the pan for few seconds and serve the dosa.
- The dosa was very crispy and don’t have any odd taste of ragi. Kids wil surely love this for sure.
- This dosa turned out good and i tried grinding the batter both in mixie and grinder.
- You can make some stuffing and make a masala dosa too.
- Paniyarams and ootappams can also be made.
- You can add finely chopped onions to the dosa.