Vietnamese veg spring roll with video
As i have enquired with my friends in chennai, the sheets are available in Amma nana shop in alwarpet. If you find this in your city, please update the place with the name of the shop in the comments section below. In Singapore, we get this rice sheets in Fair price in the dried food section.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 5 mins |Serves: 3
Vietnamese Rice sheets 6
Cucumber 1 small
Capsicum | bell pepper 1/2
Tofu a small portion
Garlic 1 pod
Soy sauce 2 drops
Olive oil 2 drops
Mint leaves or basil leaves few
Rice noodles little
Hot water to dip the rice sheets
Salt as needed
Pepper powder 2 pinches
For the sauce
Peanut butter 2-3 tblsp
Red chili flakes few
Honey 2-3 drops
Soya sauce few drops
- Cut the carrots, cucumber and capsicum into thin strips. As asked by the moms who attended the show, i have shown “how to cut the carrots into thins strips” in the video.
- Add salt and sprinkle the pepper powder. Mix well.
- You can add cabbage, lettuce and add few drops of lemon juice too.
- Using tofu is optional. If using, cut the tofu into long and chop the garlic into fine pieces.
- In a bowl add tofu, garlic and soya sauce, mix well and marinate this for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add olive oil and saute this marinated tofu for 5 minutes.
- Put the rice noodles in hot water for 2 minutes and drain the water.
- The rice sheets will be stiff and once you put that into the hot water it will become soft.
- Boil some water and keep it in a wide plate . I used the cake pan for that. Dip the rice sheets in the water and take it out immediately. Do not immerse it fully, else it will become too soft and tear while rolling.
- Place it on a clean cutting board. No need to grease the board. Instead of using a cutting board, you can use the back of a steel plate.
- Now let’s start making the stuffing and make the roll.
- Place the noodles first, place it breadth wise. keep the veggies after that.
- Place the tofu and mint or basil leaves on the top.
- Let’s start folding the sheets.
- Start folding from the sides . Bring the sides in the center as shown in the center.
- Now roll it from the front side and roll tightly.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the ingredients.
- Keep this covered with a damp cloth till you serve this. This will avoid the dryness and keep the rolls fresh.
- Mix the peanut butter, honey and chili flakes. Add little water and beat well with a back of the spoon to bring it to a saucy consistency.
- If you do not have peanut butter, grind roasted peanuts(de skinned) in a mixer with some water and add the honey and chili flakes to this.
- Cut the rolls diagonally using a sharp knife and serve it with peanut sauce.
- Do not dip the rice sheets in hot water for a long time, just dip and take it out immediately.
- Do not over stuff the filling, else it will tear while rolling.
- While rolling, roll it gently yet tightly.
- You can make the entire stuffing in an Indian version, as per your choice and serve it with green chutney too.
- After making 3-4 rolls, check the water, if it is cold, reheat the water again to dip the rice sheets.