Puliyodarai is our family’s favorite and i have posted 2 varieties of puliyodarai here already. Check out Pulikaichal and Iyengar kovil style puliyodarai. I always wanted to try this andhra pulihora , as one of my friend makes it so awesome. Recently we are invited to her place for lunch and while she was discussing me about the food, i told her i want a simple andhra meals . Since she is a very good friend of mine, i took the privilege of telling her to keep the pulihora compulsory in the menu. I have noted down the recipe from her long back and it was in my hand written book too.
* I used tamarind paste but you can soak little tamarind in hot water and take 1 and 1/2 tblsp of thick extract.
- In a pan add oil and add the mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, broken red chilli and slit green chilli.
- When the mustard crackles add the tamarind paste | extract. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Let this get cooked and the raw smell of the tamarind goes off. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Keep the flame low while cooking else it will get burnt.
- I always like the dals and peanuts to be crunchy and so i add just before serving. If it is ok with you you can add while tempering the mustard seeds.
- Add the cooked rice to this. Mix well.
- In a small pan add little oil and add the channa dal, urad dal and peanuts . I added 1 red chilli too.
- Roast them on a medium flame. Be careful not to get it burnt.
- Add the roasted dal and nuts to the rice. Mix well gently and evenly.
- Andhra puliyodarai is ready to serve. Serve with Vadam