Check out the Vazhaipoo vada recipe too.
Preparation Time : 10 mins + soaking time 1 hr | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 20 vadas approx
Channa dal 1/2 cup
Toor dal 1/2 cup
Fennel seeds| sombu 1 tsp
Red chili 3-4
Beetroot 1 cup (grated)
Salt as needed
Curry leaves to taste
Oil for deep frying
Method with step wise pictures:
- Soak both the dals for atleast 1hour along with red chili.
- Grind along with fennel seeds(sombu)and red chili into a coarse paste.
- Do not add water while grinding the dals. Just sprinkle a tsp of water if you need.
- Mix nicely for even mixing of spices.
- Add the grated beetroot, chopped onions and salt just before making vadais.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Take lemon sized portion of the dough.
- Flatten a small portion of the vada batter and flatten it.
- Carefully drop into oil.
- Always fry keeping the flame in medium.
- Repeat this for rest of the batter. Take out them when the oil sound subsides.
- Drain in a kitchen towel.
- Enjoy hot vadais with a cup of coffee or tea.
- Few tblsp of grated coconut can be added while grinding the dal.
- Always grind the dal in small batches if making in bulk.
- If you are making in bulk, add the beetroot and onions for small portions, else it will ooze out water.