School holidays are over and packing lunch bo with interesting lunch items is a challenging task for all mothers. And if you have 2 kids, it is even more complicated !! This bhindi rice is an interesting lunch box recipe, recently learnt from my friend who visited here last month. I made little changrs to the recipe to suit my kids taste, and the bhindi pulao is a super hit recipe. As most the kids love bhindi| vendakai , this bhindi rice recipe will sure be a super hit lunch box recipe.
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 2
Bhindi| ladies finger|okra 8
Basmati rice 1/2 cup
Sambar powder 2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste 1/2 tsp
Pav bhaji masala| garam masala 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Oil 2 tblsp
Cashew nuts | peanuts little (optional)
Coriander leaves few
- Soak the basmati rice in 3/4 cup of water for 20 minutes. Cook this along with little salt .Check out this how to cook basmati rice post for detailed instructions. Allow this to cool.
- Cut the ladies finger into thins round slices. In a pan add ginger garlic paste and cook in a low flame till the raw smell goes.
- Add in the onions and cook till they turn pink. Add in the tomatoes. Cook till they turn mushy.
- I forgot to add the cashewnuts and so added after adding the tomatoes. You can add when adding the ginger garlic paste.
- Add the sambar powder, turmeric powder, and pav bhaji masala.
- Mix this well and cook for a minute and add the cut ladies finger.
- Cook in a low flame till the ladies finger becomes tender but be careful not to change its colour. Once the ladies finger is cooked, add salt and mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Keep the flame . Cook for 2 minutes and gently mix the rice. Switch off the flame. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Yummy bhindi rice is ready to pack for lunch box.
- You can add finely chopped garlic instead of ginger garlic paste.
- Raw rice| sona masoori rice can be used instead of basmati rice.
- You can add garam masala instead of pav bhaji masala.
- This can be made in chinese fried rice style .
Sarvesh Loves Bindi, This is a wonderful recipe to pack for lunch.
Thanks for the timely post:)
Delicious rice …Thanks for sharing..
Too good…. A must try for my lunch box
Love these one pot meals.. this is really a nice one.. will make it too
My family enjoyed eating bhindi rice…it was yummy..thanks …
Instant & easy to Cook
This is a wonderful recipe. My daughter loves this for her tiffin. Thanks
Tried today and tasted excellent….