Preparation Time : 10 mins+8hrs soaking time | Cooking Time : 20 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Channa | white channa 1 cup
Oil 1 tsp
Mint leaves 5-6
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Coriander leaves few
Cashew nuts 7-8
Stone flower| kalpaasi 1 small bit
Fennel seeds (sombu) 1 tsp
Coconut 1 tblsp
Video of how to make kurma
- Soak channa in water for 8 hours or over night.
- Finely chop the onion and tomato.
- Soak the cashew nuts in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Grind the cashew nuts, stone flower,fennel seeds and coconut into a fine paste. Add little water while grinding.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and add the mint leaves.
- Add the onions and saute for a few minutes in a low flame.
- Add in the tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add the red chili powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Drain water from the soaked channa and add it to the cooker.
- Mix well .
- Add the ground paste to this and add 1 to 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, mix well and add little water if needed to adjust the consistency.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapathi or poori.
- Instead of red chili powder you can add green chili while grinding the masala.
- Adding mint leaves gives nice flavour, so do not omit this.
- Instead of cashew nuts you can add1 tsp of roasted gram |pottukadalai