A perfect south Indian meal will never end up without this simple curd rice. Even whenever we have potluck with our friends, apart from whatever i make the job of making curd rice is usually assigned to me only. And i can happily say all the kids of my dear friends love my curd rice. I thought of posting this recipe of how to make curd rice for a long time but somehow it got postponed. So under the request of all my friends i am posting this thayir sadam recipe.
Also check out my
Also check out my
|YOGURT |CURD||1 CUP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Pressure Cook the rice by adding 1 and 1/2 cup of water.
- When done mash the rice nicely with the back of the spoon.
- When it is slightly warm add milk to this. I usually add the cold milk but if you want you can add warm milk too.
- Mash it nicely and mix it up nicely with the rice. I feel clean hands will do this job perfectly
- When it is completely cool add the yogurt to this and mix it up smoothly without any lumps. Add salt to this.
- Heat a pan, add oil and throw in the mustard seeds and add the chopped green chilli, curry leaves asafoetida and lastly the coriander leaves.
- Ensure that the coriander leaves and curry leaves are chopped finely. Chop the green chilli into big pieces. I will discard this after mixing with rice.
- Add this to the curd rice.
- If adding cashew nuts chop them finely and add it raw. Do not fry them in oil.
- Mix it well and take out the green chillies. If you wish you can temper with some grated ginger too.
- Serve it with any pickle of your choice. We had with Raw mango pickle.
- Never add the yogurt when the rice and milk mixture is warm.
- I prefer to add full cream milk to the rice as it gives a creamy texture.
- My aunty always add a dollop of butter while mixing the rice.
- You can add raw mango bits and finely chopped carrots to make it more yummy.
- My kids love to have with pomegranate and if i have it in hand i usually mix it with the rice at the end.
- Adjust the quantity of milk and yogurt according to the consistency, for curd rice.
Lovely curd rice jey..infact my all time comfort meal..I think u meant 'without this' in the first sentence,check it..
Thanks a lot prathy, typed in a hurry.Corrected it
Super Jey all time favorite recipe
Simple and homey comfort food!!
Ongoing Event – Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids – Combo Meals
Ongoing Event + Giveaway – CEDD – HONEY
Looks creamy and yummy! Lovely presentation.
Love this comforting food…Looks super yummy…
creamy curd rice….yummy…
Looks nice. love it .. :)pretty clicks. loved the bowl 🙂
Looks yumm..I love curd rice with all the seasoning ..so I do that most of the times..
wow wow yummy,makes me hungry:)
tasted and attested 🙂
Lovely presentation 🙂 Awesome recipe!!! love it anytime 🙂
Arachuvitta Chicken Curry / South Indian Village Style Chicken Gravy
Inviting You To Join In The South Vs North Challenge – Learn Regional Indian Recipes
Love this ever… Yummy !!!
this is heaven in 2 bowls..
Looks so yum Jeyashri…my daughter's favorite..she can live on this for days together
Im salivating seeing the pics & I jst had my lucnh!! Nice idea of adding some butter too..Curd rice is the ultimate comfort food, anyday..
Looks yummy…nice presentation..
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
like the props you have used to give traditional touch 🙂
wow so creamy n delicious…can't complete a meal without curd rice…yum
Super Yummy Recipes
My all time fav…Nice presentation!!
melting mild preparation…perfect clicks…
Inviting to join Ongoing Events
Let's Party – Prasadam Special
Taste Of Tropics – Authentic Indian Platter
comfort food… anytime 🙂
beautiful clicks and rice dear..
Very nice rice. its very new to me. will try soon.
Joint Replacement India
looks absolutely inviting and tempting.. very delicious recipe dear..
Nothing beats curd rice …looks creamy and delish ..and nice pics
Absolute comfort food ! A meal was never complete without this when I was little 🙂
Love to taste it jeyashri.. Looks so creamy.
Love to finish that whole bowl, looks creamy and prefect,my comforting food.
wow..wish I could grab the bowl,absolutely yummy!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving
Curd rice is a versatile dish to prepare. I can go with it for all the three meals. Like the cut mango with it.
The best dish ever with simple ingredients..love it any time ..
Thachi mammu!my fave!looks creamy
Looks so creamy…perfect texture, love it!
Very creamy and this is my mum special dish.. she adds bit of sour cream also
i can have this any time of the day…looks so smooth and creamy
My all time favorite. Nothing more comforting than this Thayir Sadham.
Your pictures are absolutely lovely. I love yogurt rice.
The photos are really nice!!!
thanks for sharing.
wonderful recipes and congrats for creating an useful site
My Uncle makes the best Bagala Bath, And I have been looking for this recipe to duplicate that awesome flavour and make it for my wife and kids and maybe some friends. Thanks 🙂
nice jey…grt work….
Nice to see Great By Cookscape
Yeah agreed yummy and also very very healthy. Good food for everybody right from those who don't have teeth…toddlers to those who have lost their teeth and can't suffer spices and more. :))
Made this dish today.. It came out very well.. Everybody at home loved it..adding whole cream milk was a great idea.. It gave a creamy texture to the rice and also enhanced it's taste. . A great summer dish for the kids.
Hi Jeyashri, I'll be entertaining few guests this weekend at my place. When can I prepare this dish so it wouldn't turn sour by the time it's on the table for dinner…
Hi Sadhana, You can make it in advance but put in the refrigerator till you serve. Just before serving add little milk to this (as it may be bit thick after keeping in the fridge) and mix well and keep it on the table after you start serving the main course
Excellent recipe.Almost same as mine.I always avoid cahewnuts,pomogranates ,grapes and also butter!