This kootu recipe is the one which i cooked for the first time when i was in 10 th standard. Right from my childhood i am fond of cooking and helping my mom in cooking. This drumstick is one of my most favorite recipe and one day i assisted my mom in making this drumstick kootu. My father appreciated me so much as the kootu tasted the same as the one my grand mom(father’s dad) makes. He always says the touch of my hands in cooking reminds him of his mother.
|COOKED MOONG DAL||1 CUP|
|SAMBAR POWDER||1 AND 1/4 TSP|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
|COCONUT OIL||2 TSP|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/4 TSP|
|CUMIN SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
- Cut the drumstick into small size (2 inches size)
- Cook this in a pan with a cup of water and add the sambar powder , turmeric powder and salt to this.
- Pressure cook 1/2 cup of moong dal with a pinch of turmeric.
- Grind the coconut and cumin seeds into fine paste adding little water.
- When the drumstick gets cooked , add the cooked moong dal and the ground coconut mixture to this.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Temper with mustard seeds ,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Enjoy this with plain rice and papad.
- If you feel the gravy is little thin add a tsp of rice flour in water and mix without any lumps. Add this to the boiling kootu to make this to rech right consistency