Rainbow gujiya – Without Khoya
Preparation Time : 25 mins | Cooking Time : 45 Mins |Makes: 15
For outer cover
All purpose flour | Maida 1 cup + 1 tblsp
Ghee 2 tblsp
Sooji |Rava 1 tblsp
Salt 2 pinches
Food colour few drops (red + green + green)
For the filling
Dry coconut 1/2 cup
Badam | almonds 10
Sugar 2 tblsp
Oil for deep frying
- In a wide bowl add the 1 cup of flour sooji and add hot ghee and salt to this.
- Mix it well and when you hold the flour it should and when u leave it should break. Keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the dry coconut, cardamom, pistachio, badam and sugar in a mixer and pulse them into a coarse powder. This will yield little more than 1/2 cup
- Divide the dough into 3 portions and few drops of food colour in each bowl. I added green, red and blue colour.
- Add little water to this and make it into a stiff dough. Cover it always, else it will become dry.
- Place one portion of the dough in a rolling board.
- Roll the dough into a thin round chapathi. I cut it using a round lid to get even size.
- Repeat the same for the rest of the dough.
- Place one portion of the rolled dough in the board. Make a thick paste of 1 tblsp of maida flour and slightly spread it on the rolled dough.
- Place one more rolled portion on this.
- Do it for all the three portions of the rolled dough.
- Roll this into a tight roll.
- Cut this into a small portions.
- Take one portion of the dough and roll this into a thin circle. If needed you can make a perfect circle with a lid.
- Place 1 tblsp of the filling in the center of the rolled dough. You can apply little water on the sides to make it seal nicely.
- Cover the gujiya and seal it perfectly. Use a fork or a somasi cutter or a pizza cutter. I used the fork to make the designs. If you are patient enough you can make swirls too.
- Make this for the remaining dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot keep it to a medium low flame adn carefully place the gujiyas into the oil.
- Fry on both sides and drain them in a kitchen towel.
- Gujiyas are ready to eat now.
- While rolling the dough ensure let it be thin, else the somas will not be crispy.
- Make the edges sealed properly, else it may open up in the oil while frying.
- Let the dough be stiff.
- The filling was perfect for the dough. 2 tblsp was left over.