Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 25 Mins |Serves: 4-5
Cut Idichakka | raw jackfruit 1 and 1/2 cup
Fresh Coconut (scrapped) 1/4 cup
Green chili 1
Coconut oil 1 tblsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Urad dal 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
- Wash the cut idichakka nicely and in a wide pan add the cut raw jack fruit and add water, salt and turmeric powder.
- Let this cook till it becomes soft and tender. This got cooked in 10 minutes. Drain the water completely and once it is cooked drain the water . Allow this to cool.
- Actually the original recipe aunty told me to roughly idichufy (that is why the name) roughly break it with a stone which we use for breaking jaggery.
- I just pulsed it in the mixie once and i find it easy. Just pulse once it is enough.
- In a pan add oil and add in the mustard seeds , urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add the pulsed raw jackfruit to this and mix well.
- Pulse the coconut and green chili in a mixie.
- Add it to the pan and mix well.
- Thoran is ready to serve.
- You can replace green chili with red chili, but the colour will slightly change.
- Some people add 2 small onions and 1 pod of garlic while grinding the coconut. If you wish you can add that too.
- If you don’t want to temper in coconut oil, add mustard seeds in normal cooking oil and later in the last add few drops of coconut oil to this and mix well.